Tidal Fish Forum banner

Anyone troll for pan fish?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dizhalex 
#1 ·
I haven't trolled lures for bass in years but a friend showed me that trolling crankbaits catch bass and panfish. First time out I caught crappie, perch and a sunnie:

Fish were found in 6.5-7.5':

Funny though, none shown on the sonar would hit a lure cast vs trolled.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice SS. I longline(horizontal, faster).9 -1.5 mph troll up to 12 rods at a time in Fla. Not crankbaits however. Beetlespins, twisters, roadrunners etc. Artificial only no live bait added. Also spider rig(vertical, slower) presentation .7 mph or less. Killer technique. The money panfish tournament boys use the new, expensive LIVESCOPE to really put a hurtin' on em. Still that technology, if you can afford it, won't make 'em bite on tough days, but it surely puts your baits in the strike zone. I don't use it, get more satisfaction, I think, NOT watching the Crappie "video game", lol!:popcorn:
Doug:cool:

#3 ·
I use to troll for wperch in Loch Raven Reservoir in central Baltimore County. I'd use my canoe with a trolling motor. Two rods would be rigged with the simplest of spinner baits, #4 bait hook, then 3-4 red beads, then a Colorado spinner blade, all strung on the mono line. I'd insert a keeled trolling sinker, ~ 3/4oz , about 4' up the mono to get'r down 6''-10'. The FF would tell me how deep the wperch were. Always had to tip the hook with 2" of night crawler. No night crawler = no fish. Fast action at times but I sorta had to be happy with 8"-10" wperch.

#4 ·
Last year there were times when trolling crankbaits and soft plastics got as many strikes as casting/retrieving. Like HJS says, you got to get the lure down to where the fish are. There were different lures that when trolled caught fish: soft plastic swim bait, crankbaits and ball head jigs with soft plastic lures with or without overhead spinners.

Once a fish was caught in an area, I would stop the boat and fancast all around it using 4-5" plastic worms rigged on 1/16 oz ball head jigs. Kut Tails and Slider Worms do very nice:

#5 ·
Hello. Looking at the photo, your catch is quite impressive. It looks just gorgeous. Listen, judging by this catch, you are quite an experienced angler. I am currently developing a website about fishing and I need authors to write articles. If you have a wish, I will be glad to see you. I must say right away, it's not free, it's a full-fledged job. If you are interested in my offer, write in private messages and we will discuss everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.