Tidal Fish Forum banner

CCA Md

Good Information 
3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  longtail 
#1 ·
CCA website has good info on proposed Striper regs. Go to their website and go to Newsroom. Read Nov. 8, 2019 article. I was unable to provide a link.

#4 ·
I can see what this is leading up to. C&R tournaments . Hundreds , if not thousands of fishermen targeting spawning class striped bass. Who thinks this is a positive way to rebuild the striped bass stock, which by the way,is the primary objective ?

#8 ·
Catch and release has extremely low mortality during the cold months they want to close to targeting. There are already very restrictive measures during this time of year. (6 rod restrictions while trolling, barbless hooks, closed rivers to protect spawning areas, in-line circle hooks with bait etc.)

Catch and release when the conditions are favorable for live releases should be fostered to keep fishing access open while there are minimal impacts.

DNR just needs to accept the ASMFC PRE APPROVED regulations of 1 fish @ 18" and be done with it. This provides the greatest access to fishing for ALL and still allows a fish to be taken most of the year!

#10 ·
Resource management is about the people. God gave it to us to use for our benefit. Yes we need to rule over it well so we have it for the future. However that does not mean we make it only about the rockfish. I suggest you look up the definition of Natural resource. If it was only about the rockfish, we should never allow any fishing, or people to go boating, or people to live on the water, etc. People who think this way should never fish and join PETA.

I support the ASMFC recommended reductions of 1 fish at 18" for the mortality reduction. I do not support MD DNRs attempts at "conservation equivalency" that attempt to appease certain groups while not really achieving any necessary reductions based on the state's own science while greatly reducing access.

#14 ·
What I am saying is that the state of Maryland's DNR twists science for what they want to benefit particular user groups they want to please. They used their release and mortality rates from their studies when lobbying hard for a 19" through their implementation of circle hooks. However now they are throwing their own release mortality study results out the window and using a flat 9% (in addition to distorted historical participation levels of wave 2 that have no way of deciphering levels before and after the trophy season has started) in order to attempt to show a greater mortality reduction by implementing a no target for two months. DNR doing this does two things. First, they are attempting to not effectively take a full mortality reduction and secondly essentially shutting down access to fishing our greatest natural resource.

They need to stop playing games and just accept the 1 @ !8" as already approved by the ASMFC.

Can you imagine a season where the trophy season comes in for two weeks, only to go to a two fish limit the rest of May and June. Season goes out in July for 26 days where you are not even allowed to target rockfish. Then it comes back in with a 1 fish slot limit for August and September before going back to a two fish slot limit October and November. Season would then be a no-target in December for even catch and release. You could then catch and release in January and February only to have it go to no-target in March and Aprlil again.....(yes, these are the options being explored by DNR)

OR

we could go with the 1 fish @ 18" and nothing else changes!

You tell me what makes for sense for reducing mortality, having understandable regulations that wont result in a huge influx of violations, and provide good access to the resource while allowing anglers to keep fish....

To me, it doesnt take a genius to figure that one out. I say 1 @ 18" and we enjoy our resource....

#15 ·
Usually, those user groups they appeal tpo are the commercial operations, like you. Respectfully.

Guides imo, wreck everything. We have no rockfish and no geese. Working. Is with a 30 day one goose limit because the guides pulverize them 2 and three trips a day, 6 days a week and some cases in other states, 7 days a week. Two trips and day 7 days a week for rockfish until there are none. Now, he we are.and what’s the answer? The science sucks. Any hook in the mouth is doing anything to help the fish regardless of water temp. That’s not science, that’s DNR making a bold move to protect the fish.

#16 ·
I hear ya about the seasons in and out, but duck hunters do it. We do it beyond, we can’t shoot certain ducks during certain seasons and others all season. We have to be able to identify a certain species and in low light conditions and not shoot and we do it and do it well. If that’s the rules, then that’s the rules.

#19 ·
iFish - don't forget the no fishing after 10AM idea.

Man, so many of these discussions here and on other boards are simply people talking past each other. We each have any idea and don't really want to hear the other side's thoughts. Sounds like today's politics to me.

Full disclosure ... I don't like spring C&R because no one knows for certain if or how the stress of it affects the spawn. I don't like the coast wide slot recommendation for a slew of reasons. MD DNR's up and down, in and out ideas seem just plain silly. And regardless what anyone thinks about us having domain over the animals I believe this time, like in '85, it needs to be about the fish. Period.

That being said ... iFish has a very, very valid point about CE. A few years back the ASMFC called for a reduction in mortality and their scientists made a recommendation on how to get there. MD being MD decided they had a better idea and came up with a CE plan. And according to MD's own numbers their plan didn't do so good. In fact the MD CE plan not only failed to meet the lower mortality target but INCREASED mortality. We, MD anglers, harvested more fish than the year before. Which makes me very skeptical that the ideas that MD is presently considering are going to be any more effective than in the past.

Not that I have any real faith in whatever ASMFC does since they've managed the striped bass stock, and others, right into where we are now.

Bob
Grady 20

#20 ·
This thread went down the toilet. I only posted it so others could see what was going on. It wasn’t to start a debate between two people. Opinions should be sent to DNR because that is where the decisions are made. Nothing ever gets solved on Tidalfish.

While it is DNR’s responsibility to protect the natural resources it is. also their responsibility to protect the folks who make a living off of those resources. It’s a tough balancing act. In my opinion they have not done a very good job. But that’s another story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.