Fishing Report Steps to Catching Striped Bass in the Fall (Light Tackle or Fly)

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com

Default Steps to Catching Striped Bass in the Fall (Light Tackle or Fly)

Steps to Catching Striped Bass in the Fall

Michael Dalgaard, from Denmark, and I enjoyed fishing with light tackle and fly fishing equipment on the Middle Chesapeake Bay. The weather was fair with 2 to 3 foot seas rolling when we left the western shore. We crossed the Bay and got out of the wind, enough to light tackle fish. I was looking for and found some large working birds.

1st Step in Fall Fishing - Find the Largest Working Birds

2nd Step - Make Sure You're on Fish

3rd Step - Light Tackle Fishing - Use the Correct Lure -
    ZMan 5" Scented Jerk ShadZ - 1/2oz BKD White Jig Head
    Most Productive Light Tackle Technique

Jig-Jig, Crank

This is a 2-step technique where you jig the bottom first then move the lure off the bottom and up through the water columns in a jigging action. It’s highly productive on striped bass that are on the bottom or when suspended. Accomplish this technique by snapping the wrist rather than moving the rod by using just the arm.

NOTE: The boat will be drifting down current with the motor off only if you are not in a dangerous location (like the Bay Bridge).

1st Step-Jigging the Bottom
    From the up current side of the boat, cast the lure out, put the rod at 9 o’clock and let the lure hit the bottom. Swiftly snap the rod to the 10 o’clock position, lifting the lure off the bottom swiftly. When the line starts to descend again move the rod tip downward in sync with the line until the lure hits the bottom again. Do this 3 times.

2nd Step-Jigging the Water Columns
    The lure is still in the water after completing the 1st Step and on the bottom. Swiftly jig the lure twice (Jig-Jig) then crank on the reel handle once (Crank) taking the slack out of the line. Do this swiftly until you get a hook-up or the lure is back to the boat.

4th Step - Fly Fishing - Use the Correct Fly -
    5" Half & Half/Chart & White - Count the Fly Down
    until it is in Front of the Striper (here was 27 count)

Most Productive Fly Fishing Technique

Fly Fishing

Move the Fly with Short & Swift Strips - Cast a weighted fly and count down to the desired depth (in front of the fish). With 350 grain sinking line and a 9w rod with a weighted fly, it will sink one-foot per second. The fluorocarbon leader should be 20 pound test, 4 feet long.

Start stripping the fly swiftly (no hesitation between strips), with the rod tip just above the water, pointing directly at the fly, in two-foot increments. Do this until the fly is back at the boat.

NOTE: During the drift, since there is current, keep the rod tip just above the water and move it horizontally to keep it pointed directly at the fly. This keeps all the slack out of the fly-line needed for a good hook set.

Tight Lines,

Capt. Tom Hughes
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Trips
    Understand Your Fishfinder/Chartplotter

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good info.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I haven’t seen birds like that in a long while.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Appreciate the info Tom..

Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish!

tom looks like your still having fun. i did not see your handicapped walker on the boat...where are you hiding it....LOL
    seriously, tom continue throwing the baits. i was thinking the other day about how you liked my wifes grilled cheese sandwiches and sweet pickles and chips..

john d

P.S. we are still in cape coral, fl..........damn its 72 today and no humidity.....

also we did attend the wedding of our son in arlington, county. thank god he finally did it! hank owner of windows catering supplied the trimmings etc. same guy who did wish a wish for many years. excellent company, hank is a good guy too. man that traffic in the DC metropolitan area really sucks.....mega bucks to use RT66 in high traffic times.

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    DITTO!

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com

Default Thanks for the kind replies

Hey Capt. John Deering: Glad to hear from you.

No walker needed....at this time. Been having a great time guiding and fishing the Chesapeake Bay. My Suz's have 5328 hours on them (knock on my head (wood). Cape Coral was my old stomping grounds back in the 70's! My Step Mom and Dad lived down there and we would go visit at least once a year. Nice place. I would walk to the bulkhead at the end of there street and fish Caloosahatchee River. I'd catch a lot of catfish and skates.

Congratulations your son's marriage! Oh-I still can't watch that cage fighting

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    I think he's pulling the popcorn trick. Nice report Tom.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements