Question Where to catch catfish in the Bay Bridge area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Where to catch catfish in the Bay Bridge area

Just wondering where decent catfish may be located (generally) this time of year and what is the best bait. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Most catfish I have seen are in the Potomac River from Pohick to Chain Bridge. The cats that were around the Bay Bridge in the Spring have retreated to the rivers due to higher salt content. Best bait for blue cats is fresh gizzard shad but any cut fish will do........ Gary

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Depending on where you are coming from, lower Susky has a good population of Flatheads and Blues, even all the way to the Dam. Flatheads will be hunkering down for the Winter, but Blues will feed through the winter.

Nanticoke and Marshyhope have developed a great population of Blues and some true bigguns too!!

And of course as Gary mentioned, the granddaddy of ‘em all, the Potomac.

Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

I've caught flatheads in the Susquehanna in Dec.,Jan., and Feb. Not that I was trying to catch them . They just got in my way while fishing for other critters. biggest was about 12 #.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

You can catch all the cats ( channel and blue cats ) you want in Pooles Island 25-30' of water. Cut bait, shrimp, worms, clam snout, or chicken liver. I was catching them on 1/2oz jig w/ 4" gulp minnows. Pretty aggressive bites. Some blues are pushing 10 plus pounders

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've caught LOTS of catfish over the years right under the Bay Bridge fishing from the Sandy Point jetty at night.

Blog Entries

They're a mess aren't they . We run from them. When the tide slacks off and the cats start biting, it's time to move, Put gulp on and you're doomed for catfish. Put Garlic scent on a Bass lure and presto , the cats show up and you've ruined a good bass day until the scent wears off. Never put on a stink scent or bait on if you don't want cats of any kind messing up your day and sliming up your fishing line. You'll regret it. Doing a seminar on how not to catch catfish is harder than how to catch catfish
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Depends on the definition of the original statement of “decent”.

For me, anything under 10 is small, 10-20 is “eh” and 20+ starts to get me excited with 30 getting a good head nod and a “That’s a good fish” acknowledgement.

And yes those are pounds not inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    They're a mess aren't they . We run from them. When the tide slacks off and the cats start biting, it's time to move, Put gulp on and you're doomed for catfish. Put Garlic scent on a Bass lure and presto , the cats show up and you've ruined a good bass day until the scent wears off. Never put on a stink scent or bait on if you don't want cats of any kind messing up your day and sliming up your fishing line. You'll regret it. Doing a seminar on how not to catch catfish is harder than how to catch catfish
    We get it Nick. You don't like catfish. That's fine and I understand that but why keep posting those disparaging remarks as there are several guides that target catfish and many recreational anglers also. Don't be so narrow minded. Fish for what you want, how you want and let others do the same. It's really easy...........Gary

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

They fight good, that’s for sure. I’ve been striking out on the stripers, might have to target cats for some pullage before it gets too cold

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast