Fishing Report Caught Blue Catfish and a very pretty Carp! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhed View Post
    Wow - these smoked blue catfish must really be good. Do you use any particular kind of smoking wood? I'm going to have to dust off the smoker..
    Hi Hardhed, yes I prefer hickory - very medium to strong flavor. My preference for pork ribs/chicken/turkey and fish. Simply delicious!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

So, if I wanted to target blue cats over the winter in the Patapsco, I’ve caught them before here, should I go to where i normally catch them, piers and structure or go out in deep water?

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    So, if I wanted to target blue cats over the winter in the Patapsco, I’ve caught them before here, should I go to where i normally catch them, piers and structure or go out in deep water?
    I'm not sure about the Patapsco but in the Potomac, they are in deep holes in the Winter but come to the shallow flats as the sun warms the water looking for baitfish. I'm fairly certain it would be the same pattern in the Ptap......... Gary

Thanks for the smoking tips. My own small tip is gouda flavored triscuits - for anything fit for a cracker. Depending on how much a purist you are - I can attest they're pretty dang good.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Longtail, hook up the boat and try the Potomac. I know there are some in the Ptap but for really good numbers and REAL quality hit the Potomac.

Mike and Dave do a great job with Indian Head Charters and so does Capital Catfishing who has a Facebook page and is relatively open about where he fishes. Follow them, study them and put the pieces together.

Like Gary said the bigger fish will find the shallows and actively feed versus those that are schooled up in the deeper waters. Active feeders versus not quite as active, but still sometimes willing. 30’ transitions to 5’ flats are tickets. Study the Potomac River charts and you’ll see.

I’ve spent the last 3-4 years doing all of this and now feel confidant in my ability to expect at least 1 fish a day over 30 and not really shocked at a 40. They’re there. I pulled a 48 and a 29 2 weeks ago.

Just do those of us who love them a favor and keep all the smalls
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhed View Post
    Thanks for the smoking tips. My own small tip is gouda flavored triscuits - for anything fit for a cracker. Depending on how much a purist you are - I can attest they're pretty dang good.
    Cool, thanks for the 'tip'.

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post

Just do those of us who love them a favor and keep all the smalls
    Chris
    I agree, there's not much in a river that pulls harder than a big blue cat. Call them invasive, but blue cats and snakeheads have really added a lot of good fishing over the past 10 years. It might not be bad if we had some invasive filter feeding oysters...

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    I've had good luck back in Curtis Creek in 20 - 25 feet of water.

Mike

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23