Need some Help Trolling lures for striper
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Trolling lures for striper

I have had great success using floating rapalas behind planer boards and i use them on my downrigger. The down rigger is my most productive and the #2 planer is my second. It doesn't seem to matter much for color but I tend run natural colors like black and silver. I generally only run three rods because i fish alone and sometimes i cant keep up with three. This year I added a black and silver Stretch 25+ in place of my #1 planer. I had no hits on it. The other two rods kept me busy enough though. I never caught anything over 24 inches though. Do the smaller fish avoid the bigger stretch? I see alot of people running smaller umbrella rigs, but I seem to just as much luck on the rapala. Any tips or different techniques to producing bigger fish would be appreciated. My personal best was a 36 inch last year jigging a sting silver. Been striper fishing only 3 years now, self taught, because people at the dock tend to be pretty tight lipped, lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wvjohn View Post
    I have had great success using floating rapalas behind planer boards and i use them on my downrigger. The down rigger is my most productive and the #2 planer is my second. It doesn't seem to matter much for color but I tend run natural colors like black and silver. I generally only run three rods because i fish alone and sometimes i cant keep up with three. This year I added a black and silver Stretch 25+ in place of my #1 planer. I had no hits on it. The other two rods kept me busy enough though. I never caught anything over 24 inches though. Do the smaller fish avoid the bigger stretch? I see alot of people running smaller umbrella rigs, but I seem to just as much luck on the rapala. Any tips or different techniques to producing bigger fish would be appreciated. My personal best was a 36 inch last year jigging a sting silver. Been striper fishing only 3 years now, self taught, because people at the dock tend to be pretty tight lipped, lol.
    John - you might want to add in some 1-3 oz bucktails on the bottom. Chartruese and red and white seem to work well. Medium size swim baits are effective. Not many big fish around yet so bait should fit fish size.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There is no go to lure for every situation. I started Saturday using primarily bucktails and small umbrellas. Fish ended up biting the best on 5" chrome spoon and a green/chartreuse tomic behind a mojo. Switched everything up and then it was fish on every couple minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hmmm...here's advice from a guy only slightly more experienced than you seem:

- Has less to do with the bait than it does with being where the fish are.
    - Head for the cut channel. The big stripers like deep water. The deep side of channel banks have produced the best for me.
    - Work hard to make sure your rig is trolling <10 ft off the bottom (heavy weight, slow troll speed, close eye on bottom/depth changes (more challenging when you're alone)). The stretch 25 is a great lure but isn't likely to bring in a cow.
    - Once you're down there, swap out all your lures in 20 min intervals. I like mojos and umbrellas. Could be any one of them, though.
    - The best cow-hunters I've seen use eels, but that's a different rig and a different sport I haven't figured out yet.

All additions from better fishermen than me is encouraged. Good luck!

7. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements