Need some Help Waaaay Off Topic: Need a New Roof - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hey alll. Merry Christmas and thx for the input. Gonna start contacting the ones recommended probably tomorrow or Friday.

Really appreciate the help and the heads up about Allied.

Bob
    Grady 20

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Talked with a few neighbors today who recently got roofs (rooves?) replaced and found out that 3 or 4 got it paid for as hail damage. Guess we're gonna the insurance agent on Monday.

Bob
    Grady 20

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I got my roof replaced due to hail damage but it was a 2 year fight....... Gary

Gary, I don't think this roof is gonna keep us dry for 2 more years. LOL

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Some insurance companies are tougher on others for replacing storm damaged roofs. I have Allstate and they are the toughest ones out there. Good luck, it's worth a try...... Gary

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Some insurance companies are tougher on others for replacing storm damaged roofs. I have Allstate and they are the toughest ones out there. Good luck, it's worth a try...... Gary
    State Farm replaced my roof from wind damage without any hassle.

Well the insurance (State Farm) adjuster came today and said no hail damage observed. So it's back to getting a few estimates

First calls are going to be to contractors y'all mentioned.

Bob
    Grady 20

So, FWIW, a final (?) update ...

Talked with and got estimates from a few of the companies recommended here and by friends / neighbors. Very interesting process. The bigger companies give you a pretty estimate starting with the "retail" price and then tell you 'but nobody pays retail so ...'. The $25K price slowly morphs it's way down to $13K. Then when you show them an estimate for the exact same materials by another big company for $10K they trash talk the other company but agree to match it. Why in God's name do you need to haggle over price with these people?

Anyway, long story short ... I got a PM from a TF'er whose company does roofing. Had him take a look and he beat the "big guys" by over $2K. 10 days later we had a new roof installed in one day. It looks great. Place was all cleaned up. Done deal. But ...

Friday night it rains cats and dogs. Took a look in the attic Saturday morning and find water on chimney exactly where we had a leak years ago. S*%t! Call the roofer. He's out of town but has 2 guys here at 9:30 Sunday morning. They look inside. They look outside. And come down with pics on their phone of mortar damage on the chimney just above the new flashing. Poop! I'm figuring I need to get a chimney guy here before the next rain. But ... roof guy says he's gonna seal the mortar up and run another strip of flashing over the damage. He says no guarantee but it usually works and figures it's worth a try. Little later they come down with pics of the new, well sealed, flashing.

So, take away? Good, quick roof job. Great problem response. And, honestly, some extra work that I don't think was really their responsibility.

FYI - Need a roof? Call Ernie at Diversified Industries

Bob
    Grady 20

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Bob- Thank you for the work and the feedback; being a small business work quality and customer satisfaction is important to us as you saw first hand.

Ernie

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12