Question Ocean Rockfish
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ocean Rockfish

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Ocean Rockfish

Has anyone been or heard if there is any rockfish activity in the ocean.
    Last edited by Fish Pursuit; 01-03-2020 at 07:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been thinking about going myself if a weather window presents itself. Any help and intel up front would be awesome! Not all the secrets just maybe general locations. Appreciate it, Happy New Year

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I checked Thursday, nada.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the responses, it appears the bay still offers some good catch and release options. I came to the realization years ago that I don't fish for economical reasons. I am more "the tug is the drug" fisherman. That said Thursday looks like a decent day at this point might run out to the ocean and check for activity. Hopefully others will fish and report before then, a lot of water to look blindly.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hey Fish, if you don't mind please report the Whale activity when you go out as well. I doubt I'll go fishing but I do have some folks that want to go Whale watching.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Pursuit View Post
    Has anyone been or heard if there is any rockfish activity in the ocean.
    I am a bit unsure of the season. Rockfish in the Bay is now closed, but rockfish in the ocean is open (even if there are no rockfish...)?

Thanks!
    David

Yesterday I was at 37th street boardwalk in Va Beach and saw hundreds of birds floating and some diving about 20-100 yards from the beach. Might be some bait they were eating so if it was, stripers could be nearby. 37 street is near the cavalier hotel. The birds were scattered around 5 blocks.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Charles View Post
    I am a bit unsure of the season. Rockfish in the Bay is now closed, but rockfish in the ocean is open (even if there are no rockfish...)?

Thanks!
    David
    Just remember, you cannot fish beyond the 3 mile limit as that would be in Federal waters and fishing for stripers is not permitted.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

And if you are coming back across the bay with fish in the box. It is illegal to possess striped bass in a closed season while fishing, even if it is catch and release or for tog.

Tom isn't Rudee Inlet under costal ocean rules, if so, I think that would be the only port around Va Beach that you could land/keep Stripers? Unless I am wrong, (and probably am) this would keep you out of trouble if you drop off your fish there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Powers View Post
    And if you are coming back across the bay with fish in the box. It is illegal to possess striped bass in a closed season while fishing, even if it is catch and release or for tog.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast