Tidal Fish Forum banner

Planning a road trip- anyone interested?

Good Information 
13K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  24Albemarle 
#1 ·
Hey All,

If you're like me than cabin fever may be setting in and the thought of the spring fishing here is a bit depressing. A small group of us are planning a trip to Hatteras mid April. All is depending on weather but we're planning to fish 2-3 days over the weekend of 4/17-4/19. We're towing down a 23 Grady and looking for several other small boats to join the fun. We possibly have 1 other Grady coming down but this is not exclusive to Grady owners.... the more the merrier. We have done this trip several times over the years but it's been at least 10 years for me so I'm really looking forward to it. We typically had some good action at the Rock Pile, it's a 25 mile run from the inlet. YFT and mahi are typically our main target but we have caught mako, blackfin, wahoo, kings, and a sailfish there in April. It's a great way to shake off the rust and get the fishing year started. With several boats it's not only safer but we work together to put each other on the fish. Great getaway and meet some new fishing buddies.

Buck

#10 ·
Ready to HO

I am interested in being a HO. I have a grady 232 gulfstream, but I do taxes-will not be able to get boat ready by that date. I have some really good offshore rods and reels. Keep me posted.

#16 ·
You have plenty of time to research. I had the same boat and took it down there a few times. That boat shouldn't have any problems if the wind cooperates. If it's due to blow we won't go. My advice is to get a crew together and maybe some folks from this board who may have the rods/reels and tackle already. We would typically troll ballyhoo no islanders, a few naked, and a couple of spreader bars. You would need some guys who can rig, manage the pit, and leader/gaff. Hopefully there is no shortage of guys who would go....over 1000 fisherman have viewed this post! Looking forward to meeting you guys. If you want to chat further don't hesitate to call.

Buck
410-533-6071

#17 ·
You never know what the weather will do off Hatteras even with a weather report. The first time I went down was May 92 . I took my new 24 Grady down to try offshore fishing. I never tried it on my own. At Teaches Lair, where we stayed, there were 4 Marines that stayed a week and only were able to get out 2 days . I stayed 2 days and was able t get out both days. The first day we caught 3 Wahoo on Islander lures with plastic ballyhoos .I had a total of 3 ,50wt Penn senator , stand up outfits. The 2nd ay, we caught peanut dolphin ,chunking off a weed bed. After we left to go in that day, a charter boat, fishing next to us, hooked up with a big blue marlin , but finally lost it. I figured a big blue marlin would be attracted to the school of dolphin under the saragasso weed bed. Like I said , I knew nothing about offshore fishing.

#18 ·
I have been on this board a very long time under a different name(spurgeon).I cannot make the trip you are speaking of but I do have a couple groups and a couple boats rigged and ready to hit the road and head to Oregon inlet once the giant bite starts up in a few weeks.Slightly different game 80 wides and fighting from gunnel.Im ready to get out there.We did run weekend before last to the Norfolk and boated a nice sword on my buddies boat after trolling 67 degree water to no avail.Get them boats ready!

#20 ·
Sounds good paul the more buddy boats the merrier.Sounds like things are just getting started off OI it should be at its peak at the end of this month maybe first week in march.I am towing from the Baltimore area and hope to get a 2 day window to fish if at all possible.If anyone wants to contact me to buddy up feel free to text four four three-822-zero zero zero one.Tight lines Mark

#21 ·
Thanks Mhandle, good luck in OI and please give us a report. Been a while since I chased the giants. We used to go to Atlantic Beach NC but the bite got spotty and we stopped going around 2008ish....and the market crashed and I sold my boat so that may have played into it too. We got it done with the Tiagra 50's with the Jerry Brown setup. Go get'm!
Buck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.