Question Keeping Crabs in Fridge
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Keeping Crabs in Fridge

I have always just cracked the door to keep them alive, which kind of sucks since I always feel like I’m cooling my shed and unnecessarily running the compressor.

I was thinking of using an aquarium air pump to pump air into the fridge with the doors closed.

I have already calculated the cubic footage, converted to gallons and am looking at air pumps in terms of GPH.

In an average sized refrig 14 CF (105 gallons) and with 1-2 bushel in there, how often do you think the air needs to be exchanged to keep them alive?

For example, 1 complete exchange every hour, every 2 hours, what??

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Lots of variables.
    First, there has to be some air leakage out of the fridge in order for pumped air to enter.
    Second, should have a wet blanket covering crabs so the new air won't dry them out.
    Most comfortable temperature for crabs is around 48 - 50 degrees F. I usually cool mine to 45*.

Personally, I don't think it matters how much air is pumped into the fridge as long as it is enough. I doubt you'll ever pump in too much air to do any harm. You & I don't breathe in all the available air that surrounds us and neither will the crabs. I'd guess that opening the fridge door 3 or 4 times for a minute or more a day would suffice without adding any additional air.

I had a commercial fridge that could hold 8 baskets. I never kept 8 bushels in there for more than a day and never added supplemental air. I checked the condition of the crabs several times a day which included removing some from time to time. I can't say that I experienced a lot of crab loss due to suffocation. I now have a walk in fridge that can hold more crabs than I can catch which means there is a much larger volume of air in it plus the fact that new air is always entering via the refrigeration unit.

Generally speaking, I never had a problem with suffocation in my crab fridges, but perhaps I opened the door more than I needed to. Personally I think you are trying to fix a problem you don't have unless you are unable to check on your crabs for a couple days.

I also think just about any aquarium air pump would supply sufficient volume of air if ran continuously. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works for you.

Good luck Chris!

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks Jerry.

This is something I’ve thinking about for awhile. I always thought about why more commercial sized coolers can stay closed with no issues and always assumed it was because of the frequency they got opened or because there was enough air space to begin with

I think if I can completely exchange the air in there about 6-8 times or the same as opening the door completely every 3-4 hours I’d be good.

Just hate air conditioning my shed😤

Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements