Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules - Page 10

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

As a matter of semantics, anyone engaged in commerce or otherwise profiting from an activity is engaged in a commercial enterprise. But that misses the point of commercial and recreational categories in fisheries management.

The first significant difference is catch methods. Commercial typically involves mass removal methods such as nets. Using these methods, a relatively few people can have a disproportionate impact on a fishery and so often merit different (and more rigorous) regulations.

The next significant difference is societal good and commerce. Commercial fishing benefits the employee and owner of the enterprise, but it also benefits the larger society by providing a food source that is important to human health. For this reason, regulators are usually charged with balancing the need to sustain a productive, healthy fishery with the desire to provide consumers with a valuable product. This is why regulators allow even hook-and-line commercial fishing to take more fish per fisherman than a recreational fisherman would be permitted.

With recreational fishing, by contrast, the valuable product is the experience. The modern view of recreational fishing is that itís not intended to be for the purpose of food subsistence. In this sense, charter fishing, although it is certainly a commercial enterprise, aligns much more closely with recreational fishing.

So, why the larger creel for those fishing on charters? I donít have any direct insight into that decision but can speculate on a few reasons. The first may be some residual belief among some regulators that charter fishing still retains a quasi-subsistence purpose. That is, people should get a meal in exchange for the high cost of a charter. That strikes me as absurd on its face; if a healthy fish meal is your goal, going to the most expensive restaurant in Annapolis or Baltimore and ordering their best fish meal is still cheaper than getting your fish via charter.

The second is that people will not go on charters with a lower creel, and the state has judged that it is desirable to protect the charter fleet from the economic fallout of a lower creel. I donít know whether this is true or not, but it has at least a hint of merit, since unlike the 1980s, huge schools of Bluefish donít stand ready as an easy alternative in most of the Bay.

The third possible justification for a higher charter creel is based on the assumption that people who go on charters usually donít otherwise have access to the Bay on their own boats or from their own property and, therefore, have fewer opportunities to fish than recreational anglers who own their own boats or live on the water. Leaving aside that this distinction is overly simplistic, it also starts to blur the line between providing an outdoors experience versus subsistence.

So, for all of the reasons stated above, charters fit much more logically into the recreational bucket. The result of that weighs in favor of imposing the same creel on charters as for the general recreating public.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Methinks time for admin to close this one out......WAY off topic...of course not blameless myself...
    WHAT ADMIN????😅😅🤣.......Gary

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    WHAT ADMIN????😅😅🤣.......Gary
    Good point Gary! I missed my afternoon nap....

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Good point Gary! I missed my afternoon nap....
    Me too. I'm getting my pre op physical now. Hip replacement Feb 19th. You can have all my fish for the next 6 weeks.😂😅....... Gary

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

These charters captains can put their guests on their one fish and then go fish for something else. However, they want to stay on the fish and run 2 charters a day. Chumming because it’s easy money. If charters are recreational, one fish per person, man.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

To help clear up my comments yesterday... whether charters are commercial or recreational, limits should be the same. And plz, no offense to "I FISH MD". .anyway...guess this is not the place to voice my opinion, nothing comes of it,

Quote Originally Posted by camodad View Post
    To help clear up my comments yesterday... whether charters are commercial or recreational, limits should be the same. And plz, no offense to "I FISH MD". .anyway...guess this is not the place to voice my opinion, nothing comes of it,
    Opinions are good if shared with explanation. It helps people make up their minds so they can comment to DNR with better understanding of the subject. I was just unclear to whether or not you thought charters should be classified separately from recreational fishermen for allocation.

Actually I agree with you. I do not believe in sector separation between private boats and for-hire boats in the recreational sector. I believe whether or not a sportsman fishes from a boat a private angler they purchased or a boat they rented, or a boat they paid to fish from for the day, all the regulations should be the same. Even though charters think they will benefit in the short term from the separation, it usually ends up hurting both sectors in the long run. I say this a someone with a charter license and who stands to gain in the short term. My comments to DNR have been in support of the ASMFC recommended regulations of 1 at 18" for all with the same season lengths as previous years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Me too. I'm getting my pre op physical now. Hip replacement Feb 19th. You can have all my fish for the next 6 weeks.😂😅....... Gary
    I had a uncle that had both his replaced. He had to have his pants legs taken down . The taylor said he was the oldest man he had ever had to do that with. He was taller after they replaced them.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The striper fishery will collapse all these reductions will do is prolong the inevitable. Then it will take ASMFC another 5 years to figure out that it has collapsed and then a moratorium will take place and another 10 years to reopen and repeat the whole cycle all over again. Between greed and mismanagement the fish don't stand a chance.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Goose 70 I agree with your synopsis and reasons that charters may take 2. I do think the summer closure should have been expanded to July 15 to August 31. I dont partake in that fleet fishery and Im sure the charters would not want that. On another note...I have not seen the detail but for the CnR up to April 1, anybody know if there were there boundaries outlined?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast