Tidal Fish Forum banner

Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules

Sad News 
39K views 157 replies 35 participants last post by  crabby and son 
#1 ·
Looks like the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission ( ASMFC ) has adopted option # 4 from Md DNR. Funny - DNR did not offer option # 5 - one fish per angler over 18 inches , no other changes to seasons.

I have many friends that run charter boats - got no bones with them , just like to see the pie sliced up fairly.

Option #4 favors the charter boat owners - but throws recs under the bus tires - IMHO. I foresee a nightmare for NRP ( Natural Resource Police ) not to mention the casual angler. Look at August 15th ( Saturday ) OK to fish but not Sunday the 16th.

Here is how I read the new rules - don't hold me to fine print - it is confusing.

April 1 to April 30th - No catch / release fishing.

May 1 - May 15th Trophy season opens ( changed from 3rd Saturday in April ) - One Rock over 35 per angler. Everyone.

May 16 to August 15th - One Rock over 18 for recs - Two rock over 18 if on a charter boat. ( I do not see one over 28 inches ).

August 16th to August 31st - Closed for everyone.

Sept 1st to Dec 10 - One Rock over 18 for recs - Two rock over 18 if on a charter boat. ( I do not see one over 28 inches ).

Dec 11 to April 1 - Looks OK to catch / release - No taking Rock home.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Skip

I hope you are seriously wrong about no mention of the 1 over 28”. With the SSB below threshold, removing the limit on >28” is suicide for this fishery. Save the breeders in the Spring and kill them in the summer and Fall.

The 2 week summer closure is a joke.

Not sure if it applies to bay but if I read it right bluefish got cut by 2/3 to 3 per day and we did what for the Rock!?

Chris

#3 ·
Thanks, Skip. If your reading of the new rules is correct, then the thing that puzzles me most is the summer closure. Peak water temps usually begin in July and run through the first half of August. After mid-August, temps typically begin cooling slightly due to reduced daylight and sun angle. Since the whole point of a summer closure is to minimize warm water C&R mortality, the timing of this closure seems to have badly missed the mark. It should be something like July7-August 21.

#5 ·
Many moons ago one of the main arguments for a saltwater fishing license for recreational fishermen was now they’ll know how many there are and they will have to listen to us. Ha, Ha. We have no voice in Annapolis. Haven’t had one since Rich Novotney passed away. It’s called taxation without representation. To bad we can’t have an Annapolis Tea (fish) Party.

#9 ·
MD is a bunch of ****ing clowns and Haddaway is lead clown. Hard to believe a state could be worse than NJ when it comes to killing fish but MD tops them.

I've honestly given up hope for bass until feds get involved. Too much greed and too many politics. Listening to the ASMFC meeting is a circus.

#12 ·
It's not fair. I'm fine with just 1 fish and will not go on a charter just to get 2. But it seems to me some recs will be willing to go on a charter to get that extra fish. The charters might even see some extra business from this. I just wish the 1 fish rule applied to charters too.

#17 ·
I don’t understand the thinking. Charters are recreational on one hand, and when they’re limited is doubled in order to stay in business....theyre commercial.

It’s my opinion, they need or the legislature needs to decide what use group charters are. Either commercial, or recreational. If commercial, there’s quotas. If recreational, one fish.

#27 ·
The one thing I commented on during the comment period was... What ever size you agree on , make it the same for recs and coms. We did get that . Making the size limit at 18in. for both accomplished 2 things. Less dead discards for recs. and no economical hardship to replace gill net mesh size for coms. I do think that an amendment should be made that once a legal limit is caught , fishermen should fish for another species or quit for the day . No continuation for catch and release for Striped Bass .Most Charter Captains would not object to that .

#32 ·
Jan 1 - Feb 28, one fish per person 18 - 28". Mar 1 - May 10, CR only (no trolling). May 11 - June 10, one fish pr person 18 - 36". June 11 - July 20, one fish per person 18 - 28". July 21 - Aug 21, SEASON CLOSED. Aug 22 - Dec 31, one fish per person 18 - 28". May not be a popular opinion, particularly with Charter Boats, but think these restrictions would be very helpful in restoring the Chesapeake Bay Rockfish population. I fish for but do not keep stripers, unless mortally wounded (bleeding). I would much rather catch one than eat one...over & out.

#41 ·
A commercial fishing guide has to have a commercial coast guard license ,commercial insurance , commercial pfds etc. They are not fishing recreationally for fun. Thay are fishing for an income commercially. As a commercial captain , they can't keep any fish .Technically, they are a hybrid. They could make their own rules . That's my guess. I'm not a lawyer . I have a Charter Captains DNR meeting in a few weeks . I'll look into it.

#40 ·
Sounds like Maryland is the same way it was when the moratorium was lifted decades ago. Full of BS. Many my age predicted the demise of the species again. They are lucky we have had 1 or 2 super spawns in the last 20 years. There are no gaurantees of super spawns. This stuff is just a stall for another year for hopes of another super YOY which we need but then they will open the flood gates again. Definition of insanity. I switched to Crappie like Gary said its a good species for old farts.

#44 ·
Charter trips will also have to report all fish caught on a daily basis if a charter trip was taken that day . I'll ask about where the fish will be allocated from. There were around 500 + licensed Charter Captains left in Maryland. 200,000 recreational fishing licenses.I'll ask about that too.

#45 ·
I don't see why daily reporting makes any difference. Seems silly to make them do it, but it's not like I expect an explanation. I have yet to get a cogent explanation as to why the rec dead loss #'s skyrocketed..

The fish will be counted on the recreational take.

How many licensed Charter Capts are on the Bay will only matter if we start to see more of them running "charters" to help people get their 2 instead of just 1. But I doubt that'll happen due to everything that goes along with being an active charter capt.

#46 ·
Guide licenses and TFL licenses are limited entry so you will not see any more licenses issued. Maybe just those holding licenses who are currently not using them becoming active. However I doubt there are a lot of them given the licenses have value and can likely be sold for thousands of dollars.

The daily reporting is so DNR can spot check those running under the charter provision of keeping two fish.

Personally as a charter I do not support sector separation and support the ASMFC recommended 1 @ 18" for all. I would rather not lose 34 days of season plus the C&R closure than be allowed to keep two fish. I sell fishing trips to recreational anglers, not fish themselves. Days available to fish mean more to me....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.