Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules - Page 12

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Here's the commercial landings page..https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P...s-harvest.aspx

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The number I'd like to see is Omega's bycatch number. They took 67,000 Metric Tons of Menhaden from the bay last year, 16,000MT over the ASMFC quota.That's 147,709,727 pounds.Have you ever seen an abundance of prey without any predators nearby?We have no idea what Omega's bycatch is, because they won't allow observers on their ships.At a mere 1% bycatch, that's 1.47 Million Pounds of Striped Bass. Coincidentally, this is almost exactly the same number as Maryland's total commercial harvest.Wouldn't you think that if their bycatch is actually much lower than that they would want observers on board to prove it?

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ragnad View Post
    The number I'd like to see is Omega's bycatch number. They took 67,000 Metric Tons of Menhaden from the bay last year, 16,000MT over the ASMFC quota.That's 147,709,727 pounds.Have you ever seen an abundance of prey without any predators nearby?We have no idea what Omega's bycatch is, because they won't allow observers on their ships.At a mere 1% bycatch, that's 1.47 Million Pounds of Striped Bass. Coincidentally, this is almost exactly the same number as Maryland's total commercial harvest.Wouldn't you think that if their bycatch is actually much lower than that they would want observers on board to prove it?
    BINGO. IT'S NOT JUST MENHADEN.......Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

One more thing about pointing the blame finger . Conowingo Dam. I witnessed a fisherman catching numerous limits of striped bass from shore. He would catch one and go to shore and put it into a plastic bag of a waiting person who wasn't fishing. He did this repeatedly with other people with plastic bags. I don't know if he was giving them away or squaring up later on the parking lot. I also know other fishermen , and I know no one on this board does this , but they take their family, children, grand children , neighbor's grand children and keep limits for all when they don't fish . Are you going to drop this in the objection /comment box when you complain about charters?
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Let's not forget the land owner who stands on his shoreline or pier and takes any size or quantity back to the house. There are too many fingers to point and you can't catch them all in action. It all boils down to who has the most power, money or ignorance for the law. We are destroying our planet and it's precious resources. Money and greed is the root cause of most problems we face.

I'm just going to enjoy a fun summer on the water with friends and family, mostly catch and release fishing with a few in the cooler, legally however that may be.

Mike

I'm going to go catfishing in the late Winter and early Spring. I'll also be crappie fishing. Going to Kiptopeake for Black Drum in May and will start crabbing in June through October. Yellow perch in November and December....... Gary

My point being that I am not fishing for striped bass at all.
    Last edited by crabby and son; 02-14-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    I'm going to go catfishing in the late Winter and early Spring. I'll also be crappie fishing. Going to Kiptopeake for Black Drum in May and will start crabbing in June through October. Yellow perch in November and December....... Gary
    congrats?

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Im snake head fishing spring and early summer then cobia flounder trout .0 black back perch to 😋

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

This sucks I’m buying a sailboat

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I still cant figure out from the DNR page when C&R ends. Is it March 1 or April 1 ? Its says both with a "[March 1]" in the proposal. What option was approved? Anybody?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast