Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules - Page 14

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 12131415 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gary, maybe a collapse is best. Then someone else can come in and make real decisions with months of public comments that won’t change an outcome that was already made.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by longtail View Post
    I agree with you, capt nick. First 2 fish, no size limit and your done. If you want to catch and release, that’s great. Your done after two
    This all stems from the facts that you can't regulate C&R short of equipment use, forcing anyone to keep fish, mandating a minimum size, and making culling illegal.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    ...Most of the people that are complaining about this don't fish on Charter boats....
    Other than a universal shortened season affecting everyone, what complaints would rec fishermen using charter boats have?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by babo View Post
    I agree with you, capt nick. First 2 fish, no size limit and your done. If you want to catch and release, that’s great. Your done after two
    This all stems from the facts that you can't regulate C&R short of equipment use, forcing anyone to keep fish, mandating a minimum size, and making culling illegal.
    Culling is already illegal

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by moronehead View Post
    I still cant figure out from the DNR page when C&R ends. Is it March 1 or April 1 ? Its says both with a "[March 1]" in the proposal. What option was approved? Anybody?
    Seems anymore that illegal is a sick bird!😳.......... Gary

You gentleman know that many fisherman fish for stripers for the sport and not the meat, right? These fisherman are also some of the most conscientious about the proper handling and treatment of the resource imo. These regs have eliminated the flats fishery and C&R in other locations in the month of April which is some of the most desirable striped fishing in this area to C&R lure fisherman. There is no science that supports this. Cold water C&R with lures and not trolling has a very low discard death rate and there is no evidence that catching stripers during this time prevents spawning activity.

The summer closure, I can get behind because of the increased chance of dead discards. But the closure in April is tough to take in.

The charter fleet getting 2 pp is also hard very hard to take. Picking and choosing limits due to financial interest doesn’t seem fair or logical. The charter fleet could get creative to allow their guests to enjoy their day on the water, but seems like status quo and tradition trump common sense and equity.

I think at this point a moratorium seems best for the fishery. I have watched the steady decline the last 15 years and it’s been sad. These fish can and will recover if we let them. We can’t though and it’s a shame.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    The fishermen that go on a charter boat or fish recreationally on their own have the right to release all their fish if they want. I have done this myself on charter boats. No one can make you keep, kill your fish , or keep 1 if you like. If your Captain makes you keep 2 fish. Find another Charter Captain. Most of the people that are complaining about this don't fish on Charter boats. I'm sure this was done to keep Charter Captains from going under. Under those circumstances, I believe there should be a termination date that this should be allowed . Lets say 5 years , then they have to go to the recreational limit.The size and bag limits could change by then anyway .By then they can decide if they can still stay afloat where they fish. I asked for the same requirement on 18 in. fish for commercials when they raised the recreational size to 19 in. The net size that the commercials had were designed t gill 18 in. fish. They argued hardship because they would have to buy new nets. Nets don't last forever and they should have given them a 5 year grace period to replace their nets , if the same regulations were in effect .I understand your gripe but I don't think it's a big deal.
    That's exactly why it was done. Haddaway and Hogan are looking out for the best interests of their constituents and family/friends and not for what's best for the fish. Soon or later it'll be shut down and they will be SOL.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by J bones View Post
    You gentleman know that many fisherman fish for stripers for the sport and not the meat, right? These fisherman are also some of the most conscientious about the proper handling and treatment of the resource imo. These regs have eliminated the flats fishery and C&R in other locations in the month of April which is some of the most desirable striped fishing in this area to C&R lure fisherman. There is no science that supports this. Cold water C&R with lures and not trolling has a very low discard death rate and there is no evidence that catching stripers during this time prevents spawning activity.

The summer closure, I can get behind because of the increased chance of dead discards. But the closure in April is tough to take in.

The charter fleet getting 2 pp is also hard very hard to take. Picking and choosing limits due to financial interest doesn’t seem fair or logical. The charter fleet could get creative to allow their guests to enjoy their day on the water, but seems like status quo and tradition trump common sense and equity.

I think at this point a moratorium seems best for the fishery. I have watched the steady decline the last 15 years and it’s been sad. These fish can and will recover if we let them. We can’t though and it’s a shame.
    I don't think too many understand that, a lot of MD/VA/DE says if any fish is of legal size put it in the box because it's your right.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

thinking the sameway…..Crabbie n son

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I was talking about fishermen that would prefer a larger than just legal fish and releasing a 19 incher. The problem with that is fishermen don't understand nor care that removing fish slime from C&R is a major cause of waisting disease . They think that even if they catch a fish and release it without gut hooking it then there is no problem with the fish surviving . I'm done with this conversation. Find someone else to gripe with. I'm not interested
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 02-18-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 12131415 ... LastLast