Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules - Page 16

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think Grumpy grady hit on part of the logic when he said it’s not worth the effort and money for 1 fish. Even with 2-3 people on board who wants to split gas for 1 20” fish.

It’s like a voluntary moratorium without saying it.

I fished 2 days in ‘18 for them and 0 days last year. Not worth burning gas for 20-22” fish. I can drive 5 minutes down the street and catch 20# carp that will be 10x the fun and 1/10 the effort.

For the majority of the charters, not the very competent LTJ guys, they don’t want cuts because of the $$$, but I can guarantee they’re already hurting. It’s like saying they’re only a little broke. Part of the reason some are switching to catfish.

WHAT!!???? A use for Blue Cats? Blasphemy. They might just save these charters over the next 5 years.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Default What option did DNR enact?

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Seems anymore that illegal is a sick bird!.......... Gary
    I read Lenny Rudows report today and it said CnR over March 1. DNR webpage still just posts the 4 reg options without any indication what the final rule is. Does anybody know which option was enacted? I could care less about keeping a rockfish any time of the year but love to CnR in the spring. Fully in support of tightening the regs (or moratorium). This whole thing is confusing to me. Am I missing something?

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by moronehead View Post
    I read Lenny Rudows report today and it said CnR over March 1. DNR webpage still just posts the 4 reg options without any indication what the final rule is. Does anybody know which option was enacted? I could care less about keeping a rockfish any time of the year but love to CnR in the spring. Fully in support of tightening the regs (or moratorium). This whole thing is confusing to me. Am I missing something?
    March 1st - March 31st no keep
    April 1st - April 31 no targeting. Closed season
    May 1st - May 15 one fish min 35"

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

If this mild winter continues the trophy fish will be long gone by May 1.

Have they cancelled any July or August closures to the fishery?

So if I read this right, what I clipped below is what was proposed and ALL but the March closure was adopted as noted on page 4.

As I read it, that means no summer closure and still 2 fish a day for recs and Charters, because nothing in the proposal below mentions anything about summer closure or possession limit.

What was proposed?
    I. SUMMARY & FAQs
    The department proposed:
    1) Putting the rules (hook requirements, sizes, and seasons) for the recreational fishery that were
    in place only for 2018 and 2019 into place for future years.
    a) Recreational and Charter Boat Summer and Fall Fishery in the Chesapeake Bay and
    Its Tidal Tributaries:
     19” minimum size
     May 16 through December 15
    b) Recreational and Charter Boat Summer and Fall Fishery for Maryland Tributaries of the Potomac River:
     19” minimum size
     May 16 through December 31
    c) Hook Requirements for the Chesapeake Bay and its Tidal Tributaries:
     Hook requirements apply to fishing for all species, not just striped bass.
     Circle hooks required when chumming or live-lining.
     J hooks (no size restriction) or circle hooks are required when using fish,
    crabs, or worms as bait, or processed bait.
     Restrictions apply May 16 through December 15.
     No other hooks are allowed to be used during that time period.
    2) Changing the start of the recreational and charter boat spring season (trophy season) to May 1. The current start date is the third Saturday in April.
    3) Prohibiting catch and release or targeting striped bass from March 1 through April 30.
    a) This would be in effect for all areas in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
    b) Trolling would be prohibited during this time period.
    NOTE: See page 4 for changes to this section that were adopted after the public

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The Summer and Fall regulations have not been finalized yet. Proposed 1 fish for recs per day and two fish per person on a charter. There are two proposed one month Summer closures........ Gary

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516