Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules - Page 6

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gwig View Post
    charter boat catches should not be considered as recreational catches...…..period....
    They are.
    And I don't think it'd be easy to change that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

charter boat catches should not be considered as recreational catches...…..period....
    Why not? Charters only facilitate recreational anglers to be able to fish. The creels is supposed to be that of the recreational angler, not the charter boat. The charter is only the bus driver.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ragnad View Post
    What's to stop a charter captain who "limits early" from giving his customers a 50% discount for returning to the dock early, and then booking the same folks on a second charter immediately after for half price and heading back out for another bite at the apple?Is it two fish per angler per day, or two fish per angler per charter?I suppose rec fishermen could similarly head back to port, drop off their catch, and head out for a second fishing trip of the day. I've seen people do this, BTW.
    The only thing that would stop the charter captain is that it is illegal. It would also be illegal for you or I to go back to Sandy Point, offload our limit of fish and head back to the bridge for more fish.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
    Why not? Charters only facilitate recreational anglers to be able to fish. The creels is supposed to be that of the recreational angler, not the charter boat. The charter is only the bus driver.
    This is absolute bs, respectfully. Your a business

The crabbing sector tried this same thing with crab charters and lost. Your either recreational or your commercial

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ragnad View Post
    What's to stop a charter captain who "limits early" from giving his customers a 50% discount for returning to the dock early, and then booking the same folks on a second charter immediately after for half price.
    So you want a charter guy to cut a trip short, then go in, and come back out to end up with the same $? I'm gonna say that will stop it.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    ... No continuation for catch and release for Striped Bass .Most Charter Captains would not object to that .
    Don't most charter captains want this? Limit out and head for the harbor?

. .

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    Just find another species of fish to target. There are white, yellow perch, crappie, catfish, cobia, redfish, black drum and snakeheads............Gary
    Banded Rudderfish are staging for the spring run...…...

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I find it amazing that no one has said anything about the 18” minimum size. Personally I think an 18 inch fish isn’t worth the time, trouble and expense. Even at two a day. Too small for my filet knife. I never consider keeping a rock under 22 inches.

As far as charters keeping two per angler it doesn’t bother me. I doubt there are that many full time charter boats operating anymore. Most guides are part timers working charters as a part time job. They aren’t hurting the rockfish population. In fact many of those part timers encourage catch and release. The loss of 34 days as stated by IFishMd really hurts them. Especially if the Spanish don’t show up this year like last year. I doubt there are that many folks that would charter a boat to catch them anyway.

This rockfish bulls hit tarted in the late 1970’s. Forty plus years ago and the debate goes on. It’s a never ending struggle to manage this fish. And the end is not in sight. As long as there is a buck to be made off of the fish the fight will be waged. Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHT NURES View Post
    Banded Rudderfish are staging for the spring run...…...
    Have you seen their YOY numbers, a collapse is eminent. What ever happened to that clique? They were entertaining if nothing else...

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast