Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules

Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules

Looks like the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission ( ASMFC ) has adopted option # 4 from Md DNR. Funny - DNR did not offer option # 5 - one fish per angler over 18 inches , no other changes to seasons.

I have many friends that run charter boats - got no bones with them , just like to see the pie sliced up fairly.

Option #4 favors the charter boat owners - but throws recs under the bus tires - IMHO. I foresee a nightmare for NRP ( Natural Resource Police ) not to mention the casual angler. Look at August 15th ( Saturday ) OK to fish but not Sunday the 16th.

Here is how I read the new rules - don't hold me to fine print - it is confusing.

April 1 to April 30th - No catch / release fishing.

May 1 - May 15th Trophy season opens ( changed from 3rd Saturday in April ) - One Rock over 35 per angler. Everyone.

May 16 to August 15th - One Rock over 18 for recs - Two rock over 18 if on a charter boat. ( I do not see one over 28 inches ).

August 16th to August 31st - Closed for everyone.

Sept 1st to Dec 10 - One Rock over 18 for recs - Two rock over 18 if on a charter boat. ( I do not see one over 28 inches ).

Dec 11 to April 1 - Looks OK to catch / release - No taking Rock home.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip

I hope you are seriously wrong about no mention of the 1 over 28”. With the SSB below threshold, removing the limit on >28” is suicide for this fishery. Save the breeders in the Spring and kill them in the summer and Fall.

The 2 week summer closure is a joke.

Not sure if it applies to bay but if I read it right bluefish got cut by 2/3 to 3 per day and we did what for the Rock!?

Chris
    Last edited by done workin; 02-05-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks, Skip. If your reading of the new rules is correct, then the thing that puzzles me most is the summer closure. Peak water temps usually begin in July and run through the first half of August. After mid-August, temps typically begin cooling slightly due to reduced daylight and sun angle. Since the whole point of a summer closure is to minimize warm water C&R mortality, the timing of this closure seems to have badly missed the mark. It should be something like July7-August 21.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Why don’t we just kill all the Big cows and get it over with DNR . How do they come up with this 💩 O i no it’s called politics.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Many moons ago one of the main arguments for a saltwater fishing license for recreational fishermen was now they’ll know how many there are and they will have to listen to us. Ha, Ha. We have no voice in Annapolis. Haven’t had one since Rich Novotney passed away. It’s called taxation without representation. To bad we can’t have an Annapolis Tea (fish) Party.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Probably a dumb question but is it 2 per person if on a charter or 2 per boat? If 2 per person I don't understand why it's 2 and not just 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jaksprat View Post
    Probably a dumb question but is it 2 per person if on a charter or 2 per boat? If 2 per person I don't understand why it's 2 and not just 1.
    It is one per person on a private boat but two per person if you are on a charter boat.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    It is one per person on a private boat but two per person if you are on a charter boat.
    Do you know why that is?

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

MD is a bunch of fucking clowns and Haddaway is lead clown. Hard to believe a state could be worse than NJ when it comes to killing fish but MD tops them.

I've honestly given up hope for bass until feds get involved. Too much greed and too many politics. Listening to the ASMFC meeting is a circus.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jaksprat View Post
    Do you know why that is?
    Because the watermen who are wiping these fish out bitch nonstop every time there is a cut and say they are struggling and Haddaway has close ties to them so she would rather look out for their best interests.

Hogan also looks out for watermens best interests too so MD is screwed for now.
    Last edited by kurazy kracka; 02-05-2020 at 09:55 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast