Sad News Looks like bad news - new Rockfish rules - Page 13

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by moronehead View Post
    I still cant figure out from the DNR page when C&R ends. Is it March 1 or April 1 ? Its says both with a "[March 1]" in the proposal. What option was approved? Anybody?
    No targeting striped bass from April 1st to April 30th...... Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

They have not set the regs for when the trophy season ends. So you can still send comments to DNR about the summer season rules for recs, charters etc. I& you’re pissed about the proposed creel limits, fishery closures, size limits etc let them know. Don’t waste your time posting your views on Here write DNR.

Blog Entries

I couldn't be happier . Go out, catch your Striped Bass. Then all the catfish and white perch you want . If you have a small boat , you can stop in the river on your way back and top off the cooler with 5 bass pp, some crappie , maybe a snakehead or 2 . How many fish can you eat ? You should be happier than Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer on a raft coming down the Mississippi . Here you are in the land of pleasant living and worried abut 1 extra striped bass during the summer. How trivial .
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 02-15-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
    ... The charter is only the bus driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    Here you are in the land of pleasant living and worried abut 1 extra striped bass during the summer. How trivial .
    People don't remember what 'you' say. They remember how 'you' make 'em feel.
    It's not really about the 1 striped bass per non charter rec fisherman. Its about being told to step to the back of the bus.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by babo View Post
    It's not really about the 1 striped bass per non charter rec fisherman. Its about being told to step to the back of the bus.
    Across state and federal recreational fisheries and fisheries management, the operational definition of "recreational fishing" is that the harvested fish do not enter commerce--they are not sold or bartered. A third sector in some areas like AK is subsistence (it is legal to gill net salmon in AK for personal use in some situations). Of course there are exceptions to the operational definition such as big game pelagic fishing in HI where some recs conduct "expense fishing" and sell tuna and even marlin into commerce legally.

In MD the recreational sector has now been divided by MD state fishery managers so there is allocation within the rec sector. There are winners and losers in the allocation decision, and the winners have a clear financial incentive to efficiently harvest the species.

The allocation battle losers (including C&R recs, both private fishermen and some light tackle fishing guides, and everyday fishermen who want to harvest fish) are being asked to "step to the back of the allocation bus," which is divisive and creates resentment.

Meanwhile the striped bass spawning population is depleted (with a clear science-based, multi-year trend of "overfished" with "overfishing" still occurring), and spawning success has been poor in recent years.

The end result is that the state fishery managers have the appearance of not managing the fishery in a sustainable manner, and the split allocation raises questions about the conservation ethic of the "for hire harvest rec sector."

Blog Entries

The fishermen that go on a charter boat or fish recreationally on their own have the right to release all their fish if they want. I have done this myself on charter boats. No one can make you keep, kill your fish , or keep 1 if you like. If your Captain makes you keep 2 fish. Find another Charter Captain. Most of the people that are complaining about this don't fish on Charter boats. I'm sure this was done to keep Charter Captains from going under. Under those circumstances, I believe there should be a termination date that this should be allowed . Lets say 5 years , then they have to go to the recreational limit.The size and bag limits could change by then anyway .By then they can decide if they can still stay afloat where they fish. I asked for the same requirement on 18 in. fish for commercials when they raised the recreational size to 19 in. The net size that the commercials had were designed t gill 18 in. fish. They argued hardship because they would have to buy new nets. Nets don't last forever and they should have given them a 5 year grace period to replace their nets , if the same regulations were in effect .I understand your gripe but I don't think it's a big deal.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 02-16-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Blog Entries

One more thing. We all know that there will be thousands of wasted dead discards this summer from fishermen insisting on catch a release. I believe all fishermen charter captains too , should stop fishing for striped bass after their limit is caught. You'll be doing more for the striped bass fishery than complaining about one fish two fish. Otherwise, we'll go to 10 fish no fish . You can comment on that during the summer fishery comment period.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I agree with you, capt nick. First 2 fish, no size limit and your done. If you want to catch and release, that’s great. Your done after two

Blog Entries

That would probably work better but how many fishermen would keep a small striper and not cull it? On lake Lanier Ga., where my son lives, they re allowed 15 stripers a day pp from 14 -22 in. but only 2 of the 15 can be over 22in. Open all year too.

All this stuff proposed by MD is just dividing the sectors and doing nothing to save the fishery. It's too late in the game to make small do nothing changes. It's going to collapse....... Gary

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast