Tidal Fish Forum banner

Sea Hunt, Tidewater, Sea Chaser or Sportsman

Need some Help 
24K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  bucktales 
#1 ·
I’m in the market to upgrade my current boat and looking at 234 Sea Hunt Ultra, 231 Sportsman Heritage, 230 cc Tidewater, or the Sea Chaser 24 HFC. I’m on Hopkins Creek in Middle River and will fish the bay - as well as family outings. All somewhat similar boats - looking for feedback on the listed brands based on a pretty significant investment. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
At the OC boat show this weekend with another couple. They are very close to pulling the trigger on a 231 Heritage Sportsman, and for that reason I spent a lot of time standing on one while he talked to the salesman.

I genuinely like the boat. Gunnels adequately high to help contain children while they're on the boat, good fit and finish. Seems like it comes with a nice electronics package that is upgradable.

Sorry I can't comment on the other boats because I am not in the market and not doing research, but the Sportsman seemed like a nice boat.

Good luck with your decision.

#4 · (Edited)
All three are price point boats. Designed bad marketed to sell the maximum amount of boat for a lower price than some of the higher end boats. I personally haven't crawled around each of them enough, so i would start with that. Look for little bitty important things. Like wire connectors (should be heat strink), double hose clamps on through hull hoses, screws where through bolts should be used. Things like that. Look up the lamination schedule of the hull.

Take a ride on a snotty day in each. For sure. One will ride better- one will be more solid, sound and feel more solid than the other.

Compare warranty of each.

Hopefully some owners will chime in on each. Go look at them. Look for things like stress cracks in the gel coat. Of course they can be caused by many things, however They can me indications of shortcomings in structure.

Lastly, really vett the dealer. In the end they need to step up when needed and help if something isn't right. Their location and proximity to you could play a part as well.

I have A local tidewater drealer near me. Jim's marine. Jim and his wife are both very nice. I had a problem with a service done there and he took care of it personally and promptly. Others may or may not have had similar experiences.

#6 ·
I owned a Sea Hunt 201, which was a sweet little Bay boat.. what I liked about it was the dry deck in seriously inclement conditions as a result of the over emphasized flare. I, like you wanted to up my game and so for the first time in my life stretched my wallet and ponied up the $$$ and bought a new boat last August. Sea Hunt 234 Ultra.. OH wow, I cannot tell you how happy I am. It is a sweet ride and with the Yammie 250 on the back gets really good fuel numbers. The new model comes with a bench transom seat where the starboard side is curved for additional comfort and the cushions are of a durable and comfortable material.... If you buy new you can make uo your own leaning post system and there are some cool options - I went for the standard with a cooler slide under the seat
I checked out the Tidewater of a similar length and was not happy with the space between the leaning post and transom - seemed very tight for fishing and particularly with more than one angler, plus $ for $ I felt Sea Hunt offered a sweeter deal.

Thats my comment.. I drove down to SC - Murrels Inlet to buy mine as I found all the dealers of sea Hunt between here and there weren't as responsive as the dealership in SC where the buying process was outstanding.

#7 ·
I'm in the market to upgrade my current boat and looking at 234 Sea Hunt Ultra, 231 Sportsman Heritage, 230 cc Tidewater, or the Sea Chaser 24 HFC. I'm on Hopkins Creek in Middle River and will fish the bay - as well as family outings. All somewhat similar boats - looking for feedback on the listed brands based on a pretty significant investment. Thanks in advance.
I'd go with a Sea hunt, cant speak for Sportsman. Stay away from Tidewater, poor ride and manufacturing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.