Fishing Report 2 Days of Blue Cats

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Fished Sunday on my boat and big fish was 45# with 1 or 2 30’s and then a few in the 20’s , teens and 6 single digits that came home for food. Pictures below.

Fished Monday on a friends boat, similar results, big was 41, Steve Fogle’s personal best, I think 3 in the 30’s and then a few in the 20’s, teens and smalls. Link to Steve’s FB page with Pics.

https://m.facebook.com/BackyardCustomRods/

Most caught on fresh shad, 10-25’ of water.

Hoping to improve this weekend.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Man, them some big cats. Thanks for pictures. Got a question. Do them large blue cats slime you and your line like the other smaller cats that people/I catch? The large blue cats I see on pictures look clean not slimy.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great catches!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Nice going! Look like a good year overall for blue cats.

Andy

They are as slimy as you could ever imagine, however they really are a pretty fish up close if you ignore the face only a mother could love. The grey, purple and pink colors up close are really impressive.

Rivercat, the Potomac is a great fishery. Take all the smalls you want and enjoy the big ones. The big fish are 20+ years old and not easily replaced and provide some legitimate excitement. Steve’s quote on the 41 was “I can’t stop him” and I am pretty sure that was on a medium heavy rod in experienced hands.

Most of the bigger fish >20# were hitting hard and a few each day bent the rods in the rod holders to the point of oh sh—-. When was the last time a Chesapeake Bay rockfish did that to anybody or how often?

Chris

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great report, thanks for sharing! I am waiting to go with Gary once he heals up from hip surgery. If we get on the bite I will need a good recipe for smoked blue cat. I smoked some king mack on New Years and that disappeared so fast I barely got to sample. And it's rare to get a big rock that can pull like described above, looking forward to some of that action.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not a bad couple of days Chris. Nice February weather for sure. I had my hip replacement yesterday so you can have all my fish fish for a month. Buck, I can PM you the recipe for smoking them because I always fill the cooler with eating size fish. Not every trip produces a 40# fish though. Spring is the best shot though....... Gary

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Excellent catch - thanks for sharing.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Question: seems like most blue cats are using mud shad for bait. Is it worth fishing for these with frozen bunker? And if not, what is an easy way for a beginner to get some fresh shad? Other baits that work well? Looking to try this out!

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Any fresh cut fish will work, shad, perch, bluegill, bluefish, mullet ect. I have used frozen mullet but bunker doesn't freeze well. Gill Netters sell fresh gizzard shad..... Gary

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast