Fishing Report 2 Days of Blue Cats - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Capt Don Marani in Canton area will sell Gizzard Shad when he can get out, 410-342-2004. He nets on the Tapsco.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I started catching blue cats last year by chance and then targeting later in the lower chester. Nice but nothing like that. Pretty amazing catfish there. Would you share a general location cause I'm gonna start next week or so. Thanks Harry

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Cats

Lots of fun and there are some big ones on the eastern shore as well.
    cats.jpg

Marshyhope has good numbers on the shore.

The area from Woodrow Wilson to Quantico has good numbers and in my opinion this area holds the most monster fish >50.

The DC area has good numbers of fish from WW clear up to Chain Bridge. I personally don’t believe this area has as many monster fish, but has PLENTY of 30-50 to keep you interested and enough solid 20’s to keep you entertained.

See my “Gary Jinxed Me” post with Gary’s comments about some of the DC restrictions.

Please keep all the under 10’s you want for food but respect the big ones.

Wasn’t that long ago the pictures above would have been “common” rockfish pictures.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Is there a mandatory Catch and Kill policy on these brutes, are they not an invasive species?

Not mandatory, but suggested. Every you keep will one less mouth to eat perch, crabs and other species.

Yes they are extremely invasive. Their SOP is to vastly overpopulate new waters, eat up all the biomass, then stunt. Then you have a waterbody that is overwhelmingly dominated by small blue catfish.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-straight View Post
    Not mandatory, but suggested. Every you keep will one less mouth to eat perch, crabs and other species.

Yes they are extremely invasive. Their SOP is to vastly overpopulate new waters, eat up all the biomass, then stunt. Then you have a waterbody that is overwhelmingly dominated by small blue catfish.
    I'm on the NOAA Baywide cafish action team and we just had a two day meeting at VCU. Our policy is to keep the small ones for food, both recreational and commercial. There is plenty money to be made for comms. Catch and release the big cats for trophy fishermen.... ..... Gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    I'm on the NOAA Baywide cafish action team and we just had a two day meeting at VCU. Our policy is to keep the small ones for food, both recreational and commercial. There is plenty money to be made for comms. Catch and release the big cats for trophy fishermen.... ..... Gary
    Gary, can you find out if the large blue cat fish in the deep water of Marshy Hope Creek might be the reason the yellows are not coming up the creek. Could the cats be eating them. You know the yellow perch school up in deep water, and that is where they are catching the cats all winter. Thanks!

There were blue cats in Marshy last year and probably a few before that.

Everybody keeps acting like these fish are new.

From 2010-2015, cannot find more recent numbers, American shad were running consecutive years of increasing population on the Potomac. Yes, better every year.

Funny since according to everybody that’s when Blue Cats were taking over. Wrong again, they’ve been here for awhile.

The Potomac has a very good fishery for crappie, LM, shad, etc. Not sure I’ve heard anybody claim those fish declining.

As far as Va waters and biomass, don’t forget these fish were introduced to create a fishery, I assume because there was nothing else there at the time. So of the majority of the fish are catfish that was by design.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-straight View Post
    theyre catfish, blown brown green whatever. They’re catfish.

I really don’t care much about that fisheries and trying to save it.

I’ve caught them, a 20 inch blue cat could swallow a basket ball, they’re mouths are so big.

They most definitely are having an adverse effect on the fishery and they’re just catfish.

Just catfish

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast