Question Need New Trailer for 192 Grady White Tournament - single or double axle? Type? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Can anyone recommendation a place(s) to get the boat weighed?

Bob
    Grady 20

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Local truck stop can.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ragnad View Post
    Worry less about maneuverability and more about a tire/hub/axle failure at 70MPH. I have spent enough time on the shoulder of 95 with blown tires, a hub that literally melted off the axle and sent the tire/wheel rolling independently down the highway, and an axle that spontaneously bent - to know that I will never, ever tow a single axle trailer again.
    That’s the results of poor maintenance and excessive speeds. Focus on those two things and you'll spend less time on the side of the road.

If there’s been no issues in 21 years “1999 Trailer” then I wouldn't image future problems. That said, if it isn’t broken then don’t fix it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My dad had a 192 on a single axle shorelander. I never thought it was enough trailer for the boat. Trailer upkeep was the main reason he got rid of it. Twice he had bearings freeze up on the way to a fishing trip and we serviced them every year. I think dealers put the minimum trailer under the boat to keep cost down. When you factor in fuel, fishing and safety equipment, coolers etc., I would lean toward dual with heavier weight rating for piece of mind. His first Grady had a dual trailer and one of the axles feel out while he was parking it,but was still able to park it. I would also recommend a bunk trailer if you have decent ramps.
    Last edited by catfish621; 03-02-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Hi Justin - My main question was whether to stay with a single axle or upgrade to a tandem. Given most responses, it looks like a tandem axle trailer would be better suited for my boat. Sean

After more research and much gnashing of teeth, its looking like we're gonna go with an EZ Loader tandem trailer rated at 4000#. Rollers. Disc breaks on one axle. Radial tires and LED lights. As was suggested earlier, Tri State Marine has the know how and the facilities to do the job so they'll get our business.

Have 1 Q:

- The trailer comes with an oil bath lube system for the wheel bearings. I'm only familiar with the "Bearing Buddy" type bearing protection. Anyone familiar with the oil bath? Better or worse than the bearing buddies?

Bob
    Grady 20

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoLin View Post

- The trailer comes with an oil bath lube system for the wheel bearings. I'm only familiar with the "Bearing Buddy" type bearing protection. Anyone familiar with the oil bath? Better or worse than the bearing buddies?
    See my comments on post #3

Hey Bob,

I’m about where you are with the decision. I’m torn between the rollers or bunks on the same trailer you referenced. I will send you a pm with some additional details I have discovered in my research.

Sean

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Oil bath are fine. There's good and bad with both grease and oil. That said , It's nice to just look at the oil level and know you are ok!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Look on e bay one to fit ur boat now 3 k PA.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23