Question Need New Trailer for 192 Grady White Tournament - single or double axle? Type?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Need New Trailer for 192 Grady White Tournament - single or double axle? Type?

I’m nearing the end of my 1999 Load Rite single axle trailer (roller, galvanized) for my 1999 192 Tournament. It is a model 19300GG1 which I believe may be rated at 3,100 pounds.

Looking for recommendations from other 192, or similar, owners on single vs. double axle. I‘m thinking to go with bunks, torsion suspension, aluminum frame, disc brakes, LED lights, etc....

The current single axle is easy to maneuver and it takes up min space in driveway. The length from the bow eye to coupler is important as I want to minimize that dimension so we can park a car in the driveway too. Currently, the single axle trailer measures 4’-7” from ball to bow eye.

My rig, loaded, to include boat, motor, fuel, batteries, gear, coolers, ice, bait, etc is comig in around 3,400 pounds.

I’ve been very happy with my Load Rite and was leaning to purchasing another one. I’m also heavily leaning to the double axle model since I trailer anywhere from 5 miles to 80 miles (each way). I’m looking at the Load Rite Model # AB21T5200102TB1 or AB21T5200LTB1. It is rated at 5200 pounds. The single axle Load Rite biggest model comes in around 3,600 pounds which doesn’t provide a big buffer with my total load.

I’m in the Wash DC area and looked at Dave’s Trailers in Glen Burnie MD for some initial pricing.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences appreciated.

Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

SeaNic - No suggestions or recommendations to offer but we're almost ready to bite the bullet on a new trailer for our '77 Grady 200 Dolphin which is in a similar weight range as your Tournament.

Presently we have a 2005 5-Star roller trailer from Dave's that I have not been partially happy with. It's rated at 5000 or 5200 lbs which is a little overkill but I like having the extra comfort zone. When I contacted Dave's a few months ago they recommended another 5-Star with, I think, a 4000 lb rating. Not gonna happen.. Haven't done amy further research to date.

On the topic of single vs dual axle ... Many years ago when I bought my first trailer I was told that dual axles will lower gas mileage significantly. Don't know if that's true or the dealer just had a single axle he wanted to sell me. Everyone I've spoken to says there's no need for a dual with a gross (boat, motor, etc) weight of approx 4000 lbs. However, although we don't use the boat all that much anymore we occasionally trailer 250 miles to Montauk, NY. I've been told that with dual axles if you get a flat in one tire you can continue on a short distance on 3 tires. Could be really helpful in, say, Brooklyn.

Anyway, best of luck in your search and please keep us up ro date on your progress. If nothing else we're probably both looking for the same trailer

Bob
    Grady 20

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have a dual axle aluminum frame bunk trailer for mine. EZ loader that I got from Tri-State.

It's 4000 lb capacity, drum brakes on one axle, leaf springs.

I just went out and measured, it's about 6 ft from ball to bow eye.

My previous boat had a single axle. The dual tows much better, much more stable.

Yes, it's tougher to move around in the driveway than a single axle., but I can manage it.

I tow 600 miles each way to Canada. I have the oil bath hubs, which run nice and cool, but I always have that worry in the back of my head about losing a seal and having all the oil drain out while on the road. The only leak I've ever had was the o-ring on the hub center cap. It was a minor leak, and easy to fix.

Bottom line, I'd get the dual again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Dual axle is 2x the maintenance, but 2x the peace of mind.

Load rite products are not what they used to be. Customer service sucks in my experience. Got a new ez loader worth every penny in quality and customer service.

When trying to research a new trailer I did a Google search for boat trailers sales. Most of the places I called were not full service dealers. What I mean is they don't actually stock trailers, or set them up as needed for your boat, adjust tongue weight, etc like Dave's did the last time I bought a trailer. They just order the trailer you tell them you want and you pick it up and say Thanks. I guess.

So, does anyone know of any full service trailer shops other than Dave's? I would really like to look at other brands of trailers and deal with a full service shop.

Thx in advance,

Bob
    Grady 20

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Try calling Eastern Marine Trailers in Newark, Delaware...... Gary

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Call Tri-State Marine in Deal. They’ve been a GW dealer for years. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and certainly would be able to set the trailer up for your boat.

Thx guys. I'll check both of them out.

Bob
    Grady 20

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Get a venture trailer aluminum beam made in glen burnie best trailer i have ever owned and staff is very knowledgeable. Do yourself a favor and check them out😎

If you don't mind me asking ...

Shoot straight - where did you purchase your EZ Loader?

O sea D - where did you purchase your Venture? (I had a Venture galvanized years ago. And I'm kinda partial to the idea of aluminum.)

Feel free to PM if you want.

Bob
    Grady 20

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast