Good Information Time for repower

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Time for repower

Decided to repower my Grady with new four stroke 4 cylinder Yamahas. Yamaha offered a free six year warranty.

Guy from Va. Beach called me about engines and he came up today to test run existing engines. Boat was scheduled for repower around 2 pm today.

We met at Sandy Point at 10 am - wind 20-25 knots but from WNW. Needless to say - he had no trouble finding me as only boat there.

Ran out and hugged the 10-15 foot contour , it was choppy but not bad. Ran boat wide open at 5,400 RPM and 42 knots. Think that sealed the deal. Ran boat on each engine - then ran up to Sandy Point.

It was interesting getting boat tied up to the pier - 1/2 inch line was pulling down to about 3/8 on the higher gusts. Once on trailer - pulled cowlings and after inspection - shook hands on the deal.

I trailered boat up to Ed Miller of Hi Tech marine in Essex. Driving up I 97 - truck was taching about 150 higher RPM. Took me a minute to realize I was fighting a 25 -30 mph head wind. Like driving 85-90 mph. Once heading west with wind behind me - truck dropped back to normal towing RMPs.

Crossing Key Bridge was no hassle - wind warning had a 40 mph limit. Having a crew cab dually is nice - wide stance did not even wander in lane.

Can not wait until next week - new engines will be all set and ready for break in period. Looking forward to four strokes but sad to see my faithful engines gone.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

With the money you'll save on oil , they'll pay for themselves . You'll never go back to 2 smokes . They are super quiet at trolling speed too. See you down the Bay when the Mackerallys start . Maybe sooner for Black Drum & Blues? I heard they're changing Blues to 3 pp soon ,instead of 10.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

With how quiet they will be you'll need another excuse to play your metal so loud!

Chuck

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Congratulations Skip, looking forward to going out with you in the summer. Great engines. Saw them down the boat show. Did you get the same size? I thought your other ones were pretty good....

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Wow! Nice deal! When did you last re-power? I remember you posting about it.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Saw motor’s when i was at Eds 2 weeks ago. You also get piece of mind when getting engines from Ed at hi teck He is the yamaha guru 👵

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Congrats Skip, I sure miss my twin 4 strokes. I'm currently running a single 250 2 stroke. Looking for a new rig, hopefully by the end of the year.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great to get new power. I did last fall. From a 225hp to Yamaha 300 hp. More speed less fuel and trottle by wire just incredible. Feels like a new boat.
    Enjoy Soenke

Blog Entries

Do these engines have an app to trouble shoot and let you know what is wrong with your engine from your I phone/smart phone ? My 2020 4 stroke Merc does . With this app, you can diagnose a problem if your warning alarm goes off then you can call your mechanic and he can read the diagnosis from your phone. If it's a simple problem, he can walk you through it. If it is a bigger problem, he can tell what the problem is . It can do many other things too. Time left for specific maintenance schedules , fuel left etc. The app can be an add on .Takes about 5 minutes to install .
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 02-29-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements