Question Anyone Using a Box Anchor in The Bay

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Anyone using an box anchor? I use an appropriate sized Fortress anchor for my 23’, but ran into some trouble a few days last season holding bottom during incoming/outgoing tides, with steady winds, in bottom ranging from typical bay bottom soup to dense mud. I have more than enough chain, and I pay out adequate scope as necessary. Also, my anchor is set to 45 degrees, and has the mud palms (in case you were wondering). The box anchors are ugly and heavy but otherwise seem to get great reviews for set time, holding strength (at significantly shorter scope) and store easily. I mostly dish my boat alone, or with my small kids, don’t have a windless or bow roller, and like the idea of less work and time setting and hauling. Would like to know if anyone is using a box anchor in mid-bay region, and local rivers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I am looking for a lighter, better anchor as well. Had never heard of a box anchor. Found this video when searching put out by Mantus anchors. Interesting comparison of box, Cooper and Mantus anchors with Mantus looking the best by far. Guess aht is no surprise as they made the video but it is an interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBB6TFSZepI

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Some bay bottoms can be tough to get a Danforth ( fluke ) style anchor to hold - especially if going from shallow to deep water. The anchor tends to slide along rather than dig - like going from deep to shallow.

One anchor I'm seeing more of in the bay is a " claw ". Odd shape but some guys swear they hold very well. Only down side is weight - need a 14 -16 lber for most 22 to 28 foot boats.

One option is to carry a grapple for tough days - you can rig it to " trip " by putting chain on end ring at hooks - lay chain along shank and leaving 2-3 links of slack - connect chain to top of grapple with 2 to 4 zip ties. If you snag - power over it to break zip ties and anchor should come free.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What is more than enough chain?

I used to have trouble anchoring with my Danforth outside of Magothy by Baltimore Light, when I did such things, and went From about 6-8’ of chain to about 20’ of chain on my 20’ boat, problem solved.

Generally I’ve never seen mud bottoms be a problem, sand yes.

Haven’t seen the box anchors yet, but will look into them for familiarity

Chris

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default How much rope and chain?

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post
    What is more than enough chain?

I used to have trouble anchoring with my Danforth outside of Magothy by Baltimore Light, when I did such things, and went From about 6-8’ of chain to about 20’ of chain on my 20’ boat, problem solved.

Generally I’ve never seen mud bottoms be a problem, sand yes.

Haven’t seen the box anchors yet, but will look into them for familiarity

Chris
    I have a 7500 lb albemarle that uses a 14 lb danforth with 1/4 in chain and 1/2 in rope. The anchor goes thru a windless but needs a new rope and I'll probably get a prespliced rig with chain since mine is corroded. I often anchor in 30 to 35 ft to fish. Do I need 20 ft of chain and how much rope?

Blog Entries

We use to use grapnel anchors with chain made by watermen in barns on the Eastern Shore.Name:  old-anchor-beach-34092169.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  14.2 KB

Mileg

Can’t say for sure, just know what Somebody suggested to me many years ago and it worked for me.

I would think the 20’ is more than enough chain in 1/4”. I think it just keeps the anchor flatter on bottom and less likely to lift.

General scope rule is 5;1 up to 7:1. I’ve anchored with way less in mud and more in sand, but then again that’s only with my danforth style.

Alot of trial and error.

Blog Entries

Danforth anchors are good for what the video shows they are good for. Sand or mud, soft substrate where they can dig in . If that video were showing the demonstration on hard oyster shell or Rock bottom he would never have got a hold in it without a lot of chain and rode. That's where you want to be for Rock. That's how they got their name . I use Navy anchors for Rock fishing. Heavy, but they work. 1/2 lb. per ft. of hull. The amount of chain and rode you will need depends on the size,weight of the craft, depth ,current and wind. You'll need a lot less than a danforth to hold bottom.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

MikeG - I'd get the 20 feet of chain. You may want to get a heavier anchor as well - many of us in the 24-30 foot boat size use 17 to 20 lb anchors.

We do this so we can use less rode - reason being often need to stay tight over fish / structure. More rode ( anchor line ) out - more boat can sway.

The long length of chain acts as a cushion to the anchor with boat wakes / waves.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    MikeG - I'd get the 20 feet of chain. You may want to get a heavier anchor as well - many of us in the 24-30 foot boat size use 17 to 20 lb anchors.

We do this so we can use less rode - reason being often need to stay tight over fish / structure. More rode ( anchor line ) out - more boat can sway.

The long length of chain acts as a cushion to the anchor with boat wakes / waves.
    Thanks so much. I have a big anchor locker so I'm going with 20 ft chain and 200 line. I've been pushing my luck with an abraded rope so its time for a change. I've always worried about my anchor wt but have gotten away with the 14 and have a small windless. With some added chain I hope I'll be safe. Always carry a spare 14 lb for storms and anchor loss,( A habit from my sailing days when the anchor could be life saving waiting out storms}. I know some residents don't like it but I can run in fast with a v8 and use someones pier in an emergency.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements