Tog fishing cbbt
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Went out on this nice foggy Sunday looking for a tog bite but couldn’t get on it. Anyone having any luck with them this spring? What’s working for you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I would suggest that you consider moving further up into the bay/rivers. Maybe Back River Reef, Poquoson River Reef or Inner Middle Ground Shoals Reef. My understanding is that tog will say on station during the winter (wedging themselves in the rocks) and that it is just a matter of water temperature when they start to feed. They ones that I caught at Back River Reef early in the season (on clams) were full of small mussels.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Powers View Post
    I would suggest that you consider moving further up into the bay/rivers. Maybe Back River Reef, Poquoson River Reef or Inner Middle Ground Shoals Reef. My understanding is that tog will say on station during the winter (wedging themselves in the rocks) and that it is just a matter of water temperature when they start to feed. They ones that I caught at Back River Reef early in the season (on clams) were full of small mussels.

Thanks for the reply. So basically the water temps are not warm enough yet for them to be around the islands yet?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Water temperature between 2nd and 3rd island of CBBT is 55.8.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=44064

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Coryk123 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So basically the water temps are not warm enough yet for them to be around the islands yet?
    Here are the three primary reasons they’re not biting yet:
    1. Overfished
    2. Overfished
    3. Overfished

Sad but true!

Oh I did not realize that. Then it is not water temperature.

I am in lockdown and out of touch this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Phillips View Post
    Water temperature between 2nd and 3rd island of CBBT is 55.8.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=44064

Fished the CBBT Sunday in the soup as well. We fished just south of the 3rd island and had about 40 fish using fiddlers. Middle to end of the outgoing then they shut down. Bite picked up again after the incoming started up but lost our spot when the anchor pulled. Moved to the tubes and picked up a couple but it was real slow. Moved inshore and didn't do anything till the sun broke out then the bite picked back up. I think the main problem with Sunday was the lack of sun. Tog like bright sunny days in my opinion. Good luck when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by N4ZNH View Post
    Fished the CBBT Sunday in the soup as well. We fished just south of the 3rd island and had about 40 fish using fiddlers. Middle to end of the outgoing then they shut down. Bite picked up again after the incoming started up but lost our spot when the anchor pulled. Moved to the tubes and picked up a couple but it was real slow. Moved inshore and didn't do anything till the sun broke out then the bite picked back up. I think the main problem with Sunday was the lack of sun. Tog like bright sunny days in my opinion. Good luck when you go.
    Thanks for the input, I went out again this past Sunday and caught a couple over the tube just under keeper size before the outgoing tide started ripping too fast to keep a 12 oz on the bottom. Weather permitting going to give the islands a shot this weekend and hopefully can make something happen. Not really sure what I’m doing wrong.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements