Need some Help Looking at Getting a Boat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Looking at Getting a Boat

All

As you might know, I fish off a JetSki.

I like the solitude, ease of handling, that its cheap to run, I can pull it with my Ranger, and store it in my garage.

Now - I am looking at getting a small boat to add. I will be using it mostly alone also. Periodically taking Wife/small Grandkids fishing at Rudee, Lynnhaven Inlet, ICW/Pungo Bridge Ramp.

Storage will be in the backyard once i widen the Gate.

When I am solo, I will continue to use it like the Ski - troll Sandbridge to the Cape, drift Lynnhaven, CBBT 1st Island.

Looking in the 16 - 17 footer range (let the flaming begin).

Looking for suggestions like Key Lago Center Console-type. Not the Carolina Skiff format but I have no experience with that type of shape.

After years of fishing these area's, the most common issue is getting out of the inlets. This is why I am looking at a boat with good freeboard.

I appreciate it if you share your experience..
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Steve, I would go with a 18, you can handle it yourself and trailering it is no problem. You will be happy with the extra room- especially with kids. It will handle much rougher water and you will have more places to store stuff. There are many brands that would fill your needs, take your time...

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

If you plan on taking grandkids and wife along I would make sure that you get one with some type of enclosed head. Even if it is one that is part of the center console.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

yea 18 is about the size i am looking at.

had a sea ray sundancer a lifetime ago. the I/O with the engine below deck - no doghouse. wife and i would stay on it during the weekends.

not a fan of the portapotty - lol - nobody but me cleans it - and i don't use it...

am i wrong at discounting the Carolina Skiff-type?

S

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I would steer clear of flat bottom boat for what you have described. I love a skiff for skinny water but you will take a beating in any kind of open water. I have a 17’ Parker as my skiff now and love it. It draws 7” rather than 4” like my old skiff but handles chop a lot better. I would look at the 18 chawk, parker, maycraft etc. something that draws less than 10” but still has flare to the bow. I can fit plenty of people but the 18 skiff fits more obviously.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have a 20 JVX Carolina Skiff and love it.I bought it for exactly what you said,grandkids in inlet and able to handle the ocean to an extent.I have caught Spanish,kings,flounder,trout,cobia and crabbed with the grandkids . Only fallback is it's a wet boat in a modest chop.I have been as far as CB entrance buoy and as far south as corolla

Gents

that is exactly the type of recommendations that I am looking for. Also looking at Key Largo's in the 16 - 18 range.

thank you very much
    Steve

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Sea-doo fishpro possibly is your best bet. It is a jetski with build in fish finder.

Do NOT get an IBOB. Hands down the worst system out there. Go with the outboards, way more reliable, better handling, and the parts are cheaper

Will be looking at a Chawk 16 CC wednesday. I know it is smaller then the 18's that have been mentioned, but wanna see it.

S

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast