Question Catfish recipes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish recipes

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default Catfish recipes

With Striped Bass season closed and numbers on the decline , catfish may be on the menu for many Bay and river fishermen. What is your favorite way to and clean them? Yes , I am staying home and can fish from my property without travelling and have been more like 600 ft. from anyone and that happens rarely. I can fish isolated from anyone. Safer than going to the mail box.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 04-02-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Can't blame you. My family didn't care for them either. All they would eat were the Walleyes or Flounder I brought home .

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I love fried catfish Zatarains fish fry breading is my favorite.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

I couldn't make them taste good . I tried Zatarins recently but it was too salty . Then I tried the low salt and I didn't like that. Too hot .I guess it's what you're used to. I've been using Badia Jerk Seasoning , Jamiacan Style on cod fillets and chicken on my indoor ,smokeless grill and I like that. I like fish on the grill so I bought a Bella indoor 12x16 in. smokeless grill from Lowes, on line for $30 +sh. . The way they work is there is a cookie sheet like pan under the grill itself where you pour a cup of water into.. When drippings fall , they are quenched in the water so there is no smoke. Nice grill marks . too. I cook with it right on top of the stove . No fooling around outside. They cook slower than a stove so I put the heat on 400 deg. as high as it will go. Doesn't take long for fish if the pieces aren't too thick . Does a great job on chicken breasts too. I cut them in smaller pieces to cook them quicker . Easy to clean in the sink too. 3 parts +the removable electric cord.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 04-02-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Flatheads

Cut bottom of tail and let bleed out when you catch em. Marinate and grill the top half and fry the bottom half. If grilled, don’t be afraid to let it cook 30 mins or so. If fried, make sure you dry the bottom half on rack in fridge for a day of two to get rid of moisture.

Blues

Only the ones around 5-6 pounds are good. Get close to 10# and they get strong.
    Either smoke per Gary’s directions or let dry as above and fry. Tempura batter with Panko crumbs on outside add healthy dose of old bay in batter. Top with hot sauce.

All others not sure, never eat em.

Fillet skinless. Cut into 3-4" chunks vertically. Soak in eggs with a little milk. Batter in Italian seasoned bread crumbs with a smattering 1% Old Bay. Fry. Cant go wrong. Done. Only experience is with channels but im sure it will work with other species. Its work works for everything else! Incl geese and ducks!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Dang, all sound good. Keep the recipes coming!!!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I like to do the 3-4" chunks too. Coat in blackened seasoning and use a little olive oil or whatever you prefer. Pan saute and towards the end I like to add a little hot sauce. It goes perfect with vidalia onion dressing when you can find it. I also like to soak the same size chunks in milk or butter milk for a few hours then take out and coat with house autry and fry.

take the time to trim out all the red meat. all of it.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Uncle Bucks fish battter from Bass Pro & Cabelas, comes in original & hot & spicy, we use it straight up , no egg wash & no mixing. filet & skin & trim them catfish, chunk them up, small about 1 inch.
    . chuck them in a bag of Uncle Bucks &, shake then straight into the hot oil, few minutes & their done! even makes them nasty catfish from the upper Gunpowder & bird river palatable. especially with a good dippin sauce!

sauce- measurements are approximate, we never measure, adjust to your taste
    Mayonaise- 1tablespoon
    dijon mustard-1teaspoon
    dash worchestershire sauce
    horseradish--1tablespoon
    old bay- 1teaspoon
    dash lemon juice if available

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/uncl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast