Question cobia permit 2020
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default cobia permit 2020

anyone else get this message?
    "This email is to inform you that you are ineligible to apply for a Recreational Cobia Permit for the 2020 fishing year due to failure to meet the mandatory reporting requirements on your recreational cobia permit for the 2019 fishing season. This ineligibility is final for the 2020 recreational cobia season, but you will be eligible again for the permit in 2021.

Accurate catch and effort reporting is critical to understand the health of the fishery and ensure a sustainable fishery for the future. As a member of the angling community, it is your responsibility to know the regulations associated with the species you target. The permit itself listed the reporting requirement and VMRC staff made numerous attempts to inform the angling public of the requirements through emails, letters, and Facebook as noted in the website link shown below."

I am sure I reported my zero catch last year. The question is do I need a cobia rec permit to catch and keep cobia or will the Resident Saltwater Boat Sport Fishing be good?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You need a permit to keep any Cobia. One is a vessel permit. The other is an individual permit for someone fishing from shore. The word possess means to keep the fish any longer than necessary to remove the hook and return it to the water. You also need a recreational fishing license either for the vessel or individual depending on the circumstances.

Here are the specific words from the regulation.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or land any cobia harvested from a recreational vessel unless the captain or operator of that recreational vessel has obtained a Recreational Cobia Permit from the Marine Resources Commission. The captain or operator shall be responsible for reporting for all anglers on the recreational vessel and shall provide his MRC ID number; the date of harvest; the number of individuals on board; the mode of fishing; and the number of cobia kept or released.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or land any cobia harvested recreationally from shore, a pier, or any other manmade structure without first having obtained a Recreational Cobia Permit from the Marine Resources Commission. Any such permittee shall provide his MRC ID number; the date of harvest; the mode of fishing; and the number of cobia kept or released on that report to the Commission.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Someone in the boat will need a Cobia Permit in addition to a fishing license (or possible a boat license).

You will need a cobia permit to catch or keep one. You have 7 days to report your catch/non catch after a trip. If you did not go you still have to report non trip, maybe when you reported late, you have 21 days from the end of the season to report non catch.

https://mrc.virginia.gov/Regulations...0_10-23-19.pdf

https://webapps.mrc.virginia.gov/public/mpermits/

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I believe that on a boat the person has to be designated as "the captain or operator of that recreational vessel". I am not sure how that applies if the owner of record is on the vessel and their buddy says that I am the operator, especially if that buddy is your 13 year old son.

I reported mine at the close of the season last year no catch and was able to get my 2020 permit.

Red, i did the same thing but there must be no record of it with them. There is no recourse and no way to call and explain and no receipt given by VMRC. Guess I will see what the email appeal will bring.

Big Brother is watching

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default I feel your pain

Me and my son logged in an reported we went to York Spit and caught no fish. When I got the email I called them and told them I do report and the guy pretty much called me a liar and told me I was banned for 2020. I cant believe they believe a computer program over a real life person. I think their system sucks and you should have to report over the phone on a recorded line or submit it on a piece of paper so there is a paper trail. All I'm going to say if there is not a VMRC boat in sight, what he dont see will not hurt him. Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by paddywagon View Post
    anyone else get this message?
    "This email is to inform you that you are ineligible to apply for a Recreational Cobia Permit for the 2020 fishing year due to failure to meet the mandatory reporting requirements on your recreational cobia permit for the 2019 fishing season. This ineligibility is final for the 2020 recreational cobia season, but you will be eligible again for the permit in 2021.

Accurate catch and effort reporting is critical to understand the health of the fishery and ensure a sustainable fishery for the future. As a member of the angling community, it is your responsibility to know the regulations associated with the species you target. The permit itself listed the reporting requirement and VMRC staff made numerous attempts to inform the angling public of the requirements through emails, letters, and Facebook as noted in the website link shown below."

I am sure I reported my zero catch last year. The question is do I need a cobia rec permit to catch and keep cobia or will the Resident Saltwater Boat Sport Fishing be good?
    Thanks

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I guess the lesson to learn is that everyone needs to report more than one trip, such as you thought about going and did not go because of the weather, or you went fishing for something else and only thought about cobia, or you went and did not see any.

https://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations...a-fishing.shtm

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements