Need some Help Commercial Snood Spacing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Commercial Snood Spacing

I currently run my snoods 5’ apart and when I bait with chicken I bait every one and when I bait with clams, I bait every other. Really don’t have any issues.

For the guys that are crabbing commercially how do you space and bait your lines?

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Chris, my outstretched arm length is 66" (5' 6") which is the distance I use to space snoods on lines I build for myself.
    When I bait with chix, I bait every snood, however, when I bait with clams I skip every other snood as you do. I have experimented with baiting every snood with clams and cannot say I catch more crabs per run by doing so.
    Clams are such good attractors that crabs don't appear to mind travelling the extra distance it seems.
    I know of many comms that have lines with snoods spaced every 12'. They catch as well as lines with closer snood spacing, otherwise their snoods would be spaced closer.
    I believe clams are to a crab as dope is to a junkie. They have to have it! An extra 6" or a foot of travel isn't going to matter to them.

Thanks Jerry, that’s exactly what I was wondering: Does dramatically reducing the spacing with clams give significantly better results. Doesn’t sound like it.

I haven’t used necks the last 2 -3 years and have been spacing clams at 10’ and honestly believe I catch as many or more crabs than I did with chicken at 5’. One thing is for sure, overall quality seems better.

Since DNR released 0 licenses last year, hoping they make up for it this year and I get lucky. Probably not, but will get me closer for a license next year.

Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Clams every snood would take wayyyy too much time and money. I do clam every third snood. Chicken the first and second.

Quote Originally Posted by metallica81186 View Post
    Clams every snood would take wayyyy too much time and money. I do clam every third snood. Chicken the first and second.

I tried that once with unsatisfactory results. Very few crabs took to the necks. For me it was a waste of time baiting with chix and a waste of bait. I won't bait with clams & necks on the same line again in this lifetime. I'm not saying it shouldn't be practiced; just saying it's not worth the time, effort & $$ to this crabber.

While we're at it, I'll pass along the results of another experiment concerning bait.
    I baited several lines with necks and had quite a few ( way too many) 1" pieces of bait that were too small to place in a snood. So, I put several of those pieces in bait bags. I had more than 20 bags that I spread out along one of the lines. I did not want all of them to be in one location.
    That day was a 5 bushel day and not one bait bag produced a crab, not one, and not more than one either. Yet, on other experiments with chix livers in bait bags, they caught crabs with regularity, but too expensive and too time consuming to use as a regular bait.

I was contemplating the neck, clam, neck, clam option but couldn’t figure out why they would consistently eat a neck if the clam was right there. Answered that question!!!

Interesting about the necks in the bags and I’ll raise you one.

I’ve tried clams in my traps 3 times and have not caught one crab!!!! Not one and not more than one😳 Even when run in the same area as my clam lines that were producing well. Not a freak thing, because it happened more than once on different rivers.

Sometimes I take 10 traps or so just to use to prospect an area before moving a line, much easier.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by done workin View Post

I’ll raise you one.

I’ve tried clams in my traps 3 times and have not caught one crab!!!! Not one and not more than one😳 Even when run in the same area as my clam lines that were producing well. Not a freak thing, because it happened more than once on different rivers.

Chris
    I have used clams in traps and had success.
    I know of others that use clams almost all the time in their traps.
    Are you sure the doors are opening?
    Strange!!!!

Jerry

I actually bought my traps from you quite a few years ago and have NEVER had a problem with them. NEVER.

I too know people who use clams in them with no issues, but for some reason those days something weird was going on. Trotlines were fine.

Chris

Puzzling isn't it Chris?!

Several years ago I was testing a "new" type trap for one of my suppliers. At the ends of each of my trot lines I placed 3 new type traps and 3 of the regular topless traps. All traps were baited with necks; same as what was on the snood lines. On every pull of the traps some of the topless traps caught crabs, however, there never appeared a crab inside the new type trap, NEVER! Was it because the shape of the trap was rectangular, had a ceiling or was painted yellow? I don't know.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metallica81186 View Post
    I bought stainless steel snap bait attachments for my clam bags and you can rebait a clam bag line at the rate of 1 bait per 6 seconds and unbait it less time. Unknotting snood knots from a clam bag is absolutely way too time consuming and out dated technology. I space my clam bags every 10 ft.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast