Need some Help Trailer Winch suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Trailer Winch suggestions

Hey guys, need to replace my trailer winch on a new to me rig. My past boats did not have an electric winch however is a must on the new rig. Need suggestions on quality winches , hull dry is 4500lbs. Roller trailer.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

No to powerwinch- get the biggest Dutton lainson one. Eastern marine in de has best prices.

Just the hull is 4500? Might want to use the pulley on that and go double pull. I did On my 25' may craft and it lasted forever.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'll second shoot straight.

I'm using a Strong Arm ( Dutton / Lainson ) SA1200 for my 27 Grady - double lined. It costs about $350.00 but is a tough winch. Be sure to take cover off once a year and clean - regrease the gears. Spray the cable a few times a year and be sure pulley is greased well.

My only complaint - the plug on winch could be better. I had one melt - I just rewired it to use a heavy duty plug.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I’ll second the pulley, makes a world of diff.

Chris

I agree with above. I have had 2 Powerwinchs'. When the Powerwinchs' crapped out I went with Dutton Lainson and I am happy.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I had been looking at the Dutton Lainsons but was unsure. Where do you get the pulley being mentioned?

if you buy the big one- and get the biggest one, i think it comes with it, or they will have one at eastern.

edit-
    https://www.easternmarine.com/strong...-winch-5248745

https://www.easternmarine.com/dutton...d-hook-5240270

https://www.easternmarine.com/strong...nect-kit-24085

everything you need.
    Last edited by shoot-straight; 05-29-2020 at 07:53 AM.

I have had 3 power winches one I let go with a boat and never had any real problems I have a 912 and a 915 using Pulley double pull 28' Seamaster 8,000lb loaded on a triple axle Venture trailer. I wish they were faster and reverse would be nice. I agree with skip spray the cable occasionally and lube gears. Now mine only gets used a couple times a year as i keep it in the water for the season if it broke I might replace it with a Dutton / Lainson but I am old school if it aint broke don't fix it.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've had a Powerwinch, RC30 hauling & launching my 3 ton boat since 2004. Only thing I've ever done was replace the cable until last summer when it wouldn't work. Had 12.3 dcv on my harness so I picked up another and it ended up being an electrical supply problem, different power cord & battery worked fine. I like the RC30 b/c I launch solo and it has a remote where I can keep the boat aligned and winch it onto the first set of rollers to keep it centered from there it's fine.

Winches are not cheap, this one was 500, so it wasn't as much a price point more brand loyalty based on personal experience.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcrazy View Post
    I've had a Powerwinch, RC30 hauling & launching my 3 ton boat since 2004. Only thing I've ever done was replace the cable until last summer when it wouldn't work. Had 12.3 dcv on my harness so I picked up another and it ended up being an electrical supply problem, different power cord & battery worked fine. I like the RC30 b/c I launch solo and it has a remote where I can keep the boat aligned and winch it onto the first set of rollers to keep it centered from there it's fine.

Winches are not cheap, this one was 500, so it wasn't as much a price point more brand loyalty based on personal experience.

Good luck!
    I have always run a 3-aut power cable fished the frame direct from the battery to a connector salvaged from a surplus UPS therefor no power loss from a undersized cable. so i have never had a electrical problem.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast