Need some Help Trailer Winch suggestions - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I now own a boat with a Powerwinch. Have never used anything but manual winches. I am not sure what to make of it yet other than the fact that when I loaded my boat up it was awesome. Question? What do you do if you are loading up boat and the electric winch takes a crap? or the clutch goes and you cant manually crank? This thing makes me nervous.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

They make a hand crank.

Once I forgot My power cable. I drove The boat all the way up and secured with a rope.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Big DV - I've broken a few winches while loading. One power winch snapped the main drive shaft ( China made ). I just put roller trailer in deeper than normal and guided boat on. Had to use engines to get last few feet to winch stand. I use a big turn buckle to secure boat to winch stand.

I do carry a spare cable - this is thing that most often will break on you.

I had an Arm Strong melt the male / female connector plug in. I just hard wired it to get boat on trailer.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Ah.... good advice fellas. Thanks

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip the flimsy trailer winches, they WILL fail. Go with an off-road type winch. They are destined to sit out on the front of a bumper so you know that they are waterproof and tough!

Winch 2.jpg

Winch 3.jpg

Boat, trailer and winch look brand new and never used! You must take real good care of it!

Charles - just my two cents....I’ve used three new PowerWinches over the past 31 years. Averages out to 10 years per winch. Had a switch burn up at the ramp. Boat was far enough up to pull out and hand crank rest of the way. Been lucky enough to never have a failure, leaving me stranded at any launch ramp. (Knock on wood). There was a time in those thirty plus years when PowerWinch quality/reputation took a hit. Could still be evident today. I guess I’ve been lucky.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My boat is way smaller than CharlesM's so maybe I am not the best reference.

I have a 40 year old powerwench that was on the trailer I bought with my 1978 boat back around 1995. Got a new trailer moved the wench over. Rebuilt the friction plates once replaced the switch once.

I do have a dedicated ground wire along with a really good chassis connection and a double 12V wire (all wires being 6 gauge) running from the circuit breakers back to the connector next to my hitch.

The good news is that I can still get parts for it.

I need to lube it up again as it popped the circuit breaker when I was pulling the boat up today.

So now I have the question of how much is overkill? Can I make do with the 3000lb winch that costs $369 or do I need the 9000lb winch that costs $597?

Charles - look into Eastern Marine in Delaware , they will ship. Easy website.

I use the SA12000 model - $349.00 - it pulls in my 27 Grady White with no trouble ( double lined / pulley ). I use a roller trailer and do not put it in deep so winch does a lot of pulling.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12