Sad News It looks like Hampton is closing Sunset Creek boat landing.
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default It looks like Hampton is closing Sunset Creek boat landing.

There is a public hearing announcement in the paper today that looks like they will be transferring the property for the ramp and parking to Bluewater Yacht Sales Specifically,

"Disposition of City-owned Property
    Of the followign parcels of city-owned property to Bluewater Yachte Sales, LC.: (1) A parceel addressed 21 Marina Road (LRSN 2002705) containing 0.71+/- acres; (2) A parcel Address 90 Marina Road (LRSN 2002669) containing 0.23 +/- Acres, and (3) A parcel address 92 Marina Road (LRSN 2002670) containing 0.34 +/- acres. Information on the above item may be obtained from Chuck Rigney, Economic Development director at 757-728-5168 or [email protected] and the Clerk of Council."

Using google maps 21 Marina Rd. is the boat ramp and 92/90 Marina road is the parking area that is a block away from the ramp. As far as I know this is the only public landing on Hampton River where you can launch a boat off of a trailer.

I am sure that the folks that live next to the ramp will be happy to see it go. I am also confident that the city will be glad not to have to maintain a public boat ramp anymore.

Grump, grump, grump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

The public hearing is on June 10th at 6PM and it looks it will be open to the public 10 people at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Powers View Post
    There is a public hearing announcement in the paper today that looks like they will be transferring the property for the ramp and parking to Bluewater Yacht Sales Specifically,

"Disposition of City-owned Property
    Of the followign parcels of city-owned property to Bluewater Yachte Sales, LC.: (1) A parceel addressed 21 Marina Road (LRSN 2002705) containing 0.71+/- acres; (2) A parcel Address 90 Marina Road (LRSN 2002669) containing 0.23 +/- Acres, and (3) A parcel address 92 Marina Road (LRSN 2002670) containing 0.34 +/- acres. Information on the above item may be obtained from Chuck Rigney, Economic Development director at 757-728-5168 or [email protected] and the Clerk of Council."

Using google maps 21 Marina Rd. is the boat ramp and 92/90 Marina road is the parking area that is a block away from the ramp. As far as I know this is the only public landing on Hampton River where you can launch a boat off of a trailer.

I am sure that the folks that live next to the ramp will be happy to see it go. I am also confident that the city will be glad not to have to maintain a public boat ramp anymore.

Grump, grump, grump.

WHY?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Getaway View Post
    WHY?
    What do you mean why. There is city owned land that is not providing tax income rather it is providing public access to the PUBLIC waters of HamptonRiver, and the lower Hampton Roads harbor. If Bluewater Yacht sales takes owner ship of the property then it becomes an income generating source for the city. To boot I am confident that the folks that own adjacent property would be more than happy to be done with the 24/7 people using the boat ramp and parking lot in their back yards and for one house within 10 feet of their bedroom window.

Talking to another old than me guy, Bob Allen, DDS of Hampton, 30 years ago there was a push for the same transfer of land, etc. that was objected to by lot of Hampton residents and subsequently failed. From what I can tell no such push is in the works this time. If someone is interested in leading such a charge please reply or send me a private message.

Me do not live in Hampton and have not used that ramp in at least 15 years and am not involved with any organizations that might be able to quickly mount a fight.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Assn has written to the Hampton City Council protesting this closure. If this ramp is to be saved, Hampton residents need to object.

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements