Fishing Report Sandy Point - Monday

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Sandy Point - Monday

Took a solo trip from Sandy Point. Stopped by Anglers for bloodworms - sold out. I forgot today was Monday - not uncommon for bait shops to be out after busy weekend. Bought a dozen night crawlers - figured I'd troll up my one Rock fast and look for Perch.

Tide was low as I launched - ran south to Hacketts and slowed to troll in 40 feet. Ran 4 tandems off boat and one umbrella off downrigger. Only had 3 rods out and got a 20 incher. I let the lip hooked fish go - figured I'd get bigger one.

Worked south to Tolly point and marks were not as good so I went back north. Two 18 inchers went back. Water was awful brown but a lot of fish around. Out going current stopped and so did the bite. Second guessing letting the 20 incher go. Worked east to # 88 but not much out there but a 17 incher.

Saw flashing and swung to port to check it out. Binoculars confirmed what I though - mylar balloons. I turned bow and set course to get them. Hate seeing these.

Got along side and gaffed the balloons. Worked back to Hacketts and got another 17 incher. Slowly reeled in lines and racked rods. Ran north and anchored on shell / hard sand bottom in 14 feet. Got a few 4 inch Perch and two 6 inch Spot.

It was about 3:00 and incoming current slowing but just right to live line. Found a nice dinner Rock of 25 inches in 30 feet. Let the Perch and one Spot go on run back to ramp.

Great to see Spot arriving - I'm sure with bloodworms find more than two.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Took a solo trip from Sandy Point. Stopped by Anglers for bloodworms - sold out. I forgot today was Monday - not uncommon for bait shops to be out after busy weekend. Bought a dozen night crawlers - figured I'd troll up my one Rock fast and look for Perch.

Tide was low as I launched - ran south to Hacketts and slowed to troll in 40 feet. Ran 4 tandems off boat and one umbrella off downrigger. Only had 3 rods out and got a 20 incher. I let the lip hooked fish go - figured I'd get bigger one.

Worked south to Tolly point and marks were not as good so I went back north. Two 18 inchers went back. Water was awful brown but a lot of fish around. Out going current stopped and so did the bite. Second guessing letting the 20 incher go. Worked east to # 88 but not much out there but a 17 incher.

Saw flashing and swung to port to check it out. Binoculars confirmed what I though - mylar balloons. I turned bow and set course to get them. Hate seeing these.

Got along side and gaffed the balloons. Worked back to Hacketts and got another 17 incher. Slowly reeled in lines and racked rods. Ran north and anchored on shell / hard sand bottom in 14 feet. Got a few 4 inch Perch and two 6 inch Spot.

It was about 3:00 and incoming current slowing but just right to live line. Found a nice dinner Rock of 25 inches in 30 feet. Let the Perch and one Spot go on run back to ramp.

Great to see Spot arriving - I'm sure with bloodworms find more than two.
    Guess who is going to be live lining tomorrow?? MLAG....... Gary

You're on my numbas..... (good seeing you)

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report. Talked to a guy at Hanover street. Had a bucket full of spot. Is it uncommon for them to be up this far this early?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Kate and I have pulled more mylar balloons out of the bay, and Norm and I have pulled more of those disgusting plastic keg shaped containers for drinks out of the Potomac than I can count. I hate those things!

Good on you Skip for changing course to pull that crap out, and thanks for the report.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks, I always enjoy reading your reports. Glad you found a nice one for dinner, and appreciate you doing balloon pickup. Hopefully the mahogany tide clears out soon.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Spots are in ..caught a few yesterday at Hackett while fishing for perch and I got more spots than perch but no rocks at all for me.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report, thanks Skip. I was thinking of towing to the beach but I might just hang around here with that report. Pretty cool to see sea bass at the bridge too. Any word on the spanish?
    The sea bassing out of oc has been absolutely lights out. Went 2 weekends ago, 4 guys had a quick limit of 60 and we didn't keep anything under 13 inches. Most were 14 plus. Still figuring out the weekend plan.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the fishing report. Would you mind if I use your picture of the balloons in a Facebook post? They are one of my pet peeves-as a hunter I've found them in remote spots too. I'd like to put the photo on my Facebook page with a note reminding people of where the party balloons often wind up. If you are not ok with that I understand completely. Also, I would not identify where the photo came from except general "found in the Bay way offshore" type note. Thanks for picking them up!

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements