Fishing Report Cobia on fire - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobia on fire

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDog3 View Post
    Great work and nice fish! Going out of Cape Charles next week, will be casting live eels to fish on the surface
    It's much better to have a sunny, fairly calm enough day to accomplish this. The guides I fished with on the Virginia Beach side would fish for flounder around the bridge until the sun would come out so it would be easer to spot the cobia on the surface. When I trailered down once to bait fish for them on my own, we used a 50 # bag of frozen, ground menhaden to melt into the water ,then set out lines with live bait, Eels or spot . The theory is that the ground chum would chum up the bait fish and that in turn would attract the cobia . It worked. If the sharks are thick, the chum might draw in too many sharks .
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks Capt Nick for that info. I had never fished for cobia till last summer and we left dock late morning to avoid wind and waves, got a beautiful day to see the fish on the surface from the tower and cast to them. Hoping we get similar weather next week to spot them

Blog Entries

Good luck, hope you get good weather and catch a few. My kind of fishing .
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've never tried for them before. Any advice for newbies to the game? my regular fishing 'style' is to not use bait, but rather cast lures. Is that not really a practical approach here?

Also, since I live in southern MD, the western shore of VA would prob be my best bet with regard to travel time down there. Where are good places to launch from and target? My boat isn't the biggest, its a 17' seafox but has a good motor, will have to shoot for calm days. Thanks in advance!!!

Sounds like a great trip Chris. Grilled cobia is one of my favorites. Congratulations!!....... Gary

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    Good luck, hope you get good weather and catch a few. My kind of fishing .
    Thanks Capt. Nick. Forecast not looking real good as of right now with wind and rain/storms, but will see how it shapes up by late week

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12