Question Whats up with all the Rays

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Whats up with all the Rays

Went out 2x this weekend by the BBridge and the Rays were all over the place. Is is safe to say that one should not be chunking for Rock in the middle of 1000 swarming Rays?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Usually Father’s Day Marks the largest schools that I see each year. I would say there is no less or no more than in years past

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There were a load when I was at Podickory point last Thur. I love to see them skin over the water and occ launch with a huge splashdown. Hooked one on my ultralight and it felt like I had a snag on the bottom. Got him up a few feet and the small hook broke. There were a load of perch in the same area,

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The bay is their birthing and mating ground June and July. One pup born per year. My buddy landed on last week that got its wing snagged on a spot bottom rig. On size 6 hook. Very lucky. ACG

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    The bay is their birthing and mating ground June and July. One pup born per year. My buddy landed on last week that got its wing snagged on a spot bottom rig. On size 6 hook. Very lucky. ACG
    Is this a cow nose ray? I hooked a sting ray last year. She got tangled up in the rocks and I watched her birth 4-6 pups before I got her out of the rocks. I will be the first to admit I know zero about ray's except they can be like lead trying to pull them in.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yes i was talking about cow nose ray. Other species may have more young per cycle. But one only for cow nose. ACG. Ps Maryland had placed a moratorium on bow fishing them until study could be completed and regulations developed. But that may have expired. Not certain much was done with covid19 interrupting DNR and all.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

rays have a stinger, it can make you sick, be careful.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fishing creek View Post
    Is this a cow nose ray? I hooked a sting ray last year. She got tangled up in the rocks and I watched her birth 4-6 pups before I got her out of the rocks. I will be the first to admit I know zero about ray's except they can be like lead trying to pull them in.
    A cow nosed ray will only birth one pup a year........ Gary

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements