Fishing Report Lower Rappahannock fishing for Spanish Mackerel
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Lower Rappahannock fishing for Spanish Mackerel

First time posting...went fishing for a couple hours today from about 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, the tide was coming in. I was trolling along the northern side of the Rappahannock just below the Robert O. Norris bridge down to Windmill Point. I mostly stayed in 35’ - 40’ of water and averaged a trolling speed of about 6 - 7 mph. I was using Clark spoons (one silver, one gold) and #1 and #2 planers. I hit on both planers and both spoons and landed three bluefish that were about 10” - 11” and I lost one before I could get it on the boat, probably also a bluefish about the same size. I released the bluefish and did not catch any Spanish Mackerel. All bites were between Mosquito Point and Windmill Point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C7FC5F0-DF5E-4D05-8D84-AAAA86FA9C84_1594257210608.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	256397  

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Try a bit farther out. I always had luck closer to R2.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Tide View Post
    Try a bit farther out. I always had luck closer to R2.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SlateDog View Post
    I hit them at both R1 , R2 and the lower half of the cut channel yesterday

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Rivertime,If you are catching blues speed up a bit I usually troll around 8 mph for them,also try different color clark spoons.also try trolling the channel edge from R6 towards Windmill,I have also caught them in front of Windmill point marina there is a pound net out there try trolling out in front of that and crab pot line.
    Tried last week and caught a few on green flash #1 planers. Good luck Sharon Lea (urbanna)

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

[QUOTE=Sharon lea;3378391]Rivertime,If you are catching blues speed up a bit I usually troll around 8 mph for them,also try different color clark spoons.also try trolling the channel edge from R6 towards Windmill,I have also caught them in front of Windmill point marina there is a pound net out there try trolling out in front of that and crab pot line.
    Tried last week and caught a few on green flash #1 planers. Good luck Sharon Lea (urbanna)[/QUOTE
    Yep. Always amazed at how fast a troll you can do and still get the macks to hit the lure. The planner is cavitating at those troll speeds, they must like the bubble trail in front of the lure.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by River Time View Post
    First time posting...went fishing for a couple hours today from about 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, the tide was coming in. I was trolling along the northern side of the Rappahannock just below the Robert O. Norris bridge down to Windmill Point. I mostly stayed in 35’ - 40’ of water and averaged a trolling speed of about 6 - 7 mph. I was using Clark spoons (one silver, one gold) and #1 and #2 planers. I hit on both planers and both spoons and landed three bluefish that were about 10” - 11” and I lost one before I could get it on the boat, probably also a bluefish about the same size. I released the bluefish and did not catch any Spanish Mackerel. All bites were between Mosquito Point and Windmill Point.
    Last week I had good luck with a silver Clark spoon on a #1 planer along Windmill bar in 10-15ft about half way between the pound nets and light. Inside the crab pots. As others have said, if you are catching bluefish, speed up.

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements