Fishing Report Shark near sandy point?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Shark near sandy point?

My dad and I were fishing between the sandy point light house and the bay bridge on 7/7/2020 and we think we saw a shark. Only reason we believe it was a shark and not a dolphin because of how it was feeding on the top and we saw a dorsal and tail fin. Being that the tail fin was vertical and not horizontal like a dolphin or porpoise we assume it was a shark. We have never seen anything like it before but is this possible? Do sharks come that far north?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Could it be a stingray?

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I don't believe so because you have the main dorsal fin i saw and then a tail fin and it legitimately looked like a shark feeding that you would see on nat geo. It was also 3-4 feet long but too far away to try and get a picture on a cell phone. I also want to say it looked like a 2nd dorsal fin like the one between the tail and main dorsal fin. I do not know what that fin would be called.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Bull sharks can handle brackish and fresh water. It could very well have been a shark. Several years ago a rather large shark was caught by a guy off of Hacketts.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I caught a bull shark under bay bridge in 1983 they follow ships in that dump their trash overboard I believe. Cant proof it. But believe it.

Blog Entries

Fishing at night with ells at the Bay Bridge every now and then a shark would bite a hooked rock fish in half. You would bring in a rock fish bleeding head. Any one on this fishing forum old enough to remember this? Yes sharks do come up the upper Chesapeake bay.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Slipsinker's Avatar

Andy that happened to me back in the fall of 1967.The reason I remember the date is because I was just discharged from the Army after a 3 yr. enlistment and one of the first things I wanted to do was go fishing for rock. We were drifting using pencil eels right under the bridge and I hooked into something big. After a brief battle the fight stopped. What I reeled in was what would have been perhaps a 40" rock but only ended up with a large head cleanly severed at the gills. So yes there are sharks in the Bay Bridge area.

Fast forward 43 years to 2010. While fishing the upper bay behind Pooles Island I saw what appeared to be a 6' bull shark. Probably came down from the C&D Canal.

Blog Entries

Nick, that is exactly what I'm talking about. It happened a few times for us. A BIG rock fish head dripping blood. How about the size of them rock we use to catch at night around the bridge.
    Last edited by andypat; 07-12-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There are a ton of sharks at Cape Charles and it would be foolish to believe some don't travel to the bay bridge.......... Gary

a legit 8' bull was caught in a pound net 5 or so years ago. I saw a pic. I swore to never swim in the bay again. Thanks for reminding me, been getting careless (i.e. swimming)

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast