Fishing Report 7/11 Chesapeake Beach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 7/11 Chesapeake Beach

Headed out from the dock at 9:45 east past Sharps Lighthouse. Let the kids play in the water, crabbed a little, caught a mess of big spot and a few perch. Pulled up anchor around 2pm and headed to Sharps Lighthouse. Put out some live spot (hook through the nose) within minutes the spot was jumping around. Something was chasing them. Pulled up the line and the spot was bitten up to the head. Threw a few more spot same thing. Bitten off to the head. I tried a few different hook placements but whatever was chomping the to spot would just bite the fish avoiding the hook every time.

Could it have been bluefish? Spanish Mackrel? I've never seen this before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Likely small Blues if you felt nibbling. Somehow they avoid the hook. Try putting a chunk of Spot on a hook and hide hook in the chunk. Drift it back slowly.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Likely small Blues if you felt nibbling. Somehow they avoid the hook. Try putting a chunk of Spot on a hook and hide hook in the chunk. Drift it back slowly.
    Thanks for the tip!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Had the same thing happen to me before - agree on blues. Amazing how they can bite *just* short of that hook...

I was in the mouth of the South River having my gulp bit off up to the hook. I'm sure they are small blues as the bite off was clean as a scalpel. People worry about falling in the water that has sharks, I worry about falling into a school of feeding bluefish.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The blues are here. It's amazing that they will bite the head and tail off a spot and leave the hook. Lucky or good.???? I say good....... Gary

Quote Originally Posted by john from md View Post
    People worry about falling in the water that has sharks, I worry about falling into a school of feeding bluefish.
    Yea, I called them the piranha of the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
    The blues are here. It's amazing that they will bite the head and tail off a spot and leave the hook. Lucky or good.???? I say good....... Gary
    They are good for sure. Out of the handfull of spot I threw in, ALL of them were bitten around the hook.

That's why surf rigs have two hooks on a wired float. You stuff the wire down through the mullet and attach the front hook to the head and lower one to the wire. This gets them every time.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Fish are smart, and they can see well at times, They know how to get wat they want, like Wimin.
    when I wore a younger mans clothes i developed a silly rig with 3 snelled eagle claw hooks.
    1. hook into mouth out gils into dorsal flesh - sharp tip exposed.
    2. hook into rectum area, out through flesh not to kill but just to be potent sharp waiting, like a pungi stick.
    3. hook into tail area, minimal flesh hurt , just enough to position the hook and hold in the tail fin area.
    best regards from tommy

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast