Question 100 octane gas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 octane gas

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 100 octane gas

My 18 foot CC has a 19 gallon tank that sits on the stern of the boat. I completely drain and clean the tank thoroughly each spring, use 89 octane gas and put in plenty of additives. Nonetheless, if the boat is not regularly used I've experienced water/gas separation after 3 months. As a snow bird in Florida, you can get ethanol free 89 octane gas in many gas stations. In Anne Arundel county I can get 100 octane aviation fuel at Lee Airport. Would this high octane damage my 70hp fuel injected Suzuki outboard? I guess I could use a half and half mix to cut down on the octane level. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Use the octane that Suzuki recommends for your outboard.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I used MDR fuel treatment year round. I have not had any trouble with the E 10 fuel separating.

I also use Yamaha ring free.

You might also want to siphon out the boat tank and use in car / truck if you are not going fishing for awhile.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I cant comment on the octane but one thing I have doe after having fuel issues several times . I keep the tank full and I add star tron fuel additive. The reason why the tank is keep full is condensation. Picture this your tank is 1/2 full outside temp cold and hot it will sweat and condensation is water that will be added to your fuel. Hope this helps someone.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by retrieverman390 View Post
    Use the octane that Suzuki recommends for your outboard.
    Your owners manual should answer all your questions.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My owners manual specifies a MINIMUM octane, not max.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Startron.

Blog Entries

Keep tank full use sta- bill marine the blue stuff use 92 octane gas the gas today loses its octain raiting sitting for just 2 weeks. If its a plastic tank

Blog Entries

Forgot to say you also should install a raycor 10 micron water seperator and your problems are over get the one with clear bowl underneath filter so you can drain water out or see if water presence is there

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Drain your boat tank in the Fall/Winter and put gas in your tow vehicle (if it has a gas engine).
    Check boat fuel tank following Spring.... probably no condensation in it. If it has water in it, empty it. Start with fresh fuel.
    I have used 100LL from Aldino (Harford Co.) airport in many of my motors, but not outboards, with no negative results. It does have lead in its formulation.

Here's what is in my Suzuki (4 stroke) manual: "Suzuki HIGHLY recommends that you use alcohol-free UNLEADED gasoline wherever possible, with a minimum pump octane rating of 87 [(R+M)2 method]." "If leaded gasoline is used, engine damage may result. Use only unleaded gasoline."

Personally I would not use 100LL in my outboard motors. Way too expensive! Try to find a gas station that sells 91 octane, non ethanol gas. It's a lot less expensive than aviation fuel.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast