Fishing Report Sandy Point - 7 / 30

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Sandy Point - 7 / 30

Launched at Sandy Point this morning at 7 am with Tfer Mike BCFD ( Mike ) and his wife Robin. Saw about a half bushel of dead crabs along ramp - no idea why someone would dump them there when dumpster is 40 feet away.

Mike has fished with me often and had rods racked by time I parked truck. We headed east over smooth seas - light south breeze bucking a strong outgoing current.

Anchored in 15 feet and use bloodworms to get Spot. Filleted a few and the strips were deadly for some nice Perch.

We got about 10 Big Spot along with same number of small ones. One lone Sea Bass was released - almost every trip have seen at least one of these.

With livewell loaded and about 20 nice Perch in cooler - we ran north. Felt good to cruise at 28 knots - only 10 am but already hot. Plan was to fish out going current as it slowed. Found Rock in 25 feet and set anchor.

Loose group of boats - some chumming , some live lining. Had one good hit that tore Spot off hook - then a slow period. Saw a big yacht cruising north - pushing a huge wake. I give the vessel - Remedy - credit. Slowed to idle as it went past the boats. Once past - got back on plane. I hailed her on VHF - thanking captain for the nice move.

We got one Rock about 20 inches - then another same size. The small Spot were key to getting the Rock crushing our bigger Spot. Did get a 26 on a big Spot to finish limit as current slacked.

We called it a day about 1:00 - running back on flat bay. Back at ramp - the dead crabs were a stinking mess. Vultures were feeding on them.

I let Mike and Robin take my Rock - in trade for the big Perch.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Sounds like a great day!! Thanks for the report.

Ted

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Another nice day on the water Skip. You gotta love those smooth seas in the open bay.

Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Man that is a nice perch - well done. Very cool of you to directly acknowledge Remedy’s captain - recognizing and encouraging good boater behavior can only help. Not just with that particular captain but because of your action, he (or she) might tell his buddies the story and have an effect on them too. One can hope anyway.

Being someone who rarely live-lines, can you say more about how the smaller spot you put out helped with the rockfish hitting the larger spot?

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Tdog -I prefer Spot around 6-9 inches for livelining. These swim much better and can get down unweighted in mild current. Rock over 24 inches have no trouble eating this size Spot. Many new live liners say - that Spot is too big - but trust me it is not.

Yesterday the Rock were smaller and hitting the bigger Spot but not able to swallow them. The smaller Rock will grab and crush the big Spot - then drop it. Sometimes a bigger Rock will grab it right after that. It goes from a tap , tap , tug , tap , tug , tap to a THUD and line peeling off.

If not hit after about 30 seconds - best to reel in the damaged / dying Spot.

We went to the smaller Spot after using the bigger ones due to the just legal size Rock. I add a big split shot to take the small Spot down deep. The 20-22 inch Rock had no trouble eating the small size bait. Sometimes you'll get a 28-32 incher on a small Spot.

With a one Rock limit ( recs ) - I always use my bigger Spot first - looking for a nice quality size fish.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Thank you Skip for the helpful explanation! Good luck out there

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report!

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

At least Remedy slowed to an idle. I hate the ones who come half way down and think they're doing something smart🙄.

Thanks for another detailed report and full explanations on the whys and hows.

Chris

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements