Good Information 5 years ago today.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 5 years ago today.

Another great day of crabbing that started off with near tragedy. As we launched the boat, an older man fell out of his boat while it was running and it was going in circles dragging him around. We pulled him and his boat to the dock from my boat and pulled him from the water as he was exhausted. Guess the crab Gods were looking out after us because we had a stellar day pulling 1 1/2 bushels of big rusty crabs in a few hours. Just finished a feast with Bob and Susan Lipsky.

From Tidal Fish web site

Thanks to whoever helped out my buddy

Hey Guys,
    We launched pretty early on the South River this morning. I had a buddy that was going to follow me around with traps to grab a few dozen for dinner. He has in an older 16' alum boat with a tiller 2-stroke.

He had his boat revving kinda of high to warm it up. Apparently, it drifted under the dock (lower tide). Anyway, the story goes when he hopped on the boat the gear shift on the tiller hit up against a piling and it knocked the boat in gear at several thousand RPM.

He went flying in the water but caught a hold of the side of the boat as it circled by. For the next several minutes he apparently held on for dear life as his boat swung round the marina in circles. He eventually made one final push to kill the motor. He was way too tired to get into the boat but was hanging on for dear life trying to doggie paddle the boat back to the dock against the wind not making progress. He was exhausted.

This is where the help came in. Someone saw what was going on and helped him get to the dock and take care of his boat. My buddy says that without that help he didn't know what to do. He was literally exhausted by that time and drifting away with no way to get in the boat. He could not reach his life jacket which was in the center of the boat.

So if you know who that was- please thank him. He did a really good deed and maybe saved a life today. My buddy ended up parking his boat and rolling with me. After resting he was able to go home with a stuffed bushel of 1's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

A great story. Thank you!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I remember this Gary. Was his boat still within the dock area at oak grove or was he actually out towards the main river?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

He was still in the dock area. 14' deep vee tiller.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Well done sir. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. And if I'm not mistaken you mentioned you missed your exit that morning to the ramp.

I did Don. He was behind me and I made a wrong turn and he got shead of me. God works in strange ways. If I didn't miss my turn, I would have launched and been gone.......... Gary

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gary I remember this event, you saved a life that morning!

I just had one of these installed on my boat because its hard to wear the kill switch lanyard when fishing and crabbing on a center console, and the leading cause of death in motorboat accidents is falling overboard.

https://www.fellmarine.com/products/

10. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements