Question Loading boat on trailer-looking for advice

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Loading boat on trailer-looking for advice

I am a twice a year boat on the trailer guy and I struggle to get the boat on the trailer level. I have a 5-star load rite trailer with rollers. I usually put the trailer in the water then pull the boat up to the pier, trim the drive up and walk the boat on the trailer using lines, then crank it up. Probably one out of five attempts I get the boat on the trailer level. What’s the best method for loading the boat on the trailer? With an upcoming long trip south I need to get the boat on there level. Boat is a 24 Albemarle. I appreciate any feedback

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Default crooked boat

Quote Originally Posted by 24Albemarle View Post
    I am a twice a year boat on the trailer guy and I struggle to get the boat on the trailer level. I have a 5-star load rite trailer with rollers. I usually put the trailer in the water then pull the boat up to the pier, trim the drive up and walk the boat on the trailer using lines, then crank it up. Probably one out of five attempts I get the boat on the trailer level. What’s the best method for loading the boat on the trailer? With an upcoming long trip south I need to get the boat on there level. Boat is a 24 Albemarle. I appreciate any feedback
    You may have your trailer too deep, the boat floats above the trailer, and settles crooked on the trailer, when pulled up the ramp.
    With a two wheeled trailer (not a twin axel), put the trailer in the water until the water is at the axels, not deeper.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I agree with Capt Frank. You probably have too much of the trailer in the water . The rollers are designed to center the boat as you crank it up. It will be much harder to crank up but it should center. With a 24’ boat you may need a winch change to make it easier for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

That is all it is backing it in to far . Mid to forward rollers should be out of water. Good luck on trip

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Not easy cranking a 24 Albie half way by hand alone unless you're only 50 and still in your prime . They weigh 5,000 lbs. I put on waders and wade out to guide it on alone. Then you can lower the trailer deeper and not have far to crank as much. You might have to to crank it nice and slow to make sure it lines up straight
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Blog Entries

Spend a 100 dollars and get the boat guides and install on your trailer. If you sink trailer to far just attach cable to boat the guides will keep your boat fairly center and should drop right in no cranking required.

Thanks everyone for the feedback-Rock hunter I have the guides on the trailer and am still loading crooked. Going to leave the trailer further out of the water as suggested and see how she loads

Blog Entries

If you have the guides how far from the gunnel or sides are they ? Mine are 1 inch from the sides. I had to get the boat on perfect then made my adjustments with the guides and i haven't had any problems. If the guides aren't set right it will come down crooked because it has room to float side to side and will come up cocked.

I drive my boat up to the trailer and clip the chain before turning off the motor. After raising the motor i go to the front of the boat, hook the winch strap and bring the boat up to about where the bow of the boat is over the roller. If the boat isn't level i go to the car and back the trailer a few feet into the water. Looking back to see if the boat levels as i back up. Once the boat is level I'll ease back up the ramp just a little till the boat is back on the bunks, park the car again and finish winching the boat all the way up.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

We trailer a 24 Albemarle to OI. Don't get the rear wheel hubs wet and it will load OK. Ramp at OI is steep. Long crank by hand. Highly recommend an electric winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast