Question Loading boat on trailer-looking for advice - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Same thing with the roller trailer that carries my 25 Parker.
    Not interested in the long crank or power loading, so I dunk the trailer.
    Once I'm hooked up and starting to pull up the ramp, if it looks like I'm loading crooked, I stop about 2/3 of the way out (so my stern is still floating a little) and just push/pull her to one side or the other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Another BIG THING make sure your motor is straight. If u don't raise the motor all the way up and the steering is turned the boat will cock when u pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsfield View Post
    I drive my boat up to the trailer and clip the chain before turning off the motor. After raising the motor i go to the front of the boat, hook the winch strap and bring the boat up to about where the bow of the boat is over the roller. If the boat isn't level i go to the car and back the trailer a few feet into the water. Looking back to see if the boat levels as i back up. Once the boat is level I'll ease back up the ramp just a little till the boat is back on the bunks, park the car again and finish winching the boat all the way up.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I drive my boat up to the trailer and clip the chain before turning off the motor. After raising the motor i go to the front of the boat, hook the winch strap and bring the boat up to about where the bow of the boat is over the roller. If the boat isn't level i go to the car and back the trailer a few feet into the water. Looking back to see if the boat levels as i back up. Once the boat is level I'll ease back up the ramp just a little till the boat is back on the bunks, park the car again and finish winching the boat all the way up.
    Do you have to go through a bow hatch to hook the winch strap on or do you have a walk around or center console?
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    Do you have to go through a bow hatch to hook the winch strap on or do you have a walk around or center console?
    I have a center console.

Blog Entries

I have a center console.
    Makes a big difference. You have to climb around full cabins with hardly any room to get around the cabin like Albemarle or go through the cabin hatch . Walkarounds and center consoles are a lot easier.

Wink

Makes a big difference. You have to climb around full cabins with hardly any room to get around the cabin like Albemarle or go through the cabin hatch . Walkarounds and center consoles are a lot easier.
    I have a friend who has a pole contraption to be able to reach out and attach winch strap from the ramp instead of reboarding boat and leaning over the bow.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Back in on the shallow side, crank until it’s not comfortable and then back the trailer down a little more.

Repeat if necessary.

Deep ramps are the worst for that. Even my 13’ Whaler is a pain when the back end floats crooked.

Usually as long as I get the bottom to hit the keel roller on my Wellcraft, the rest will settle on the bunks just fine but deep ramps I have to do what I said above.

Chris

Blog Entries

There's many ways to do it . Personally, the method I like best is to build a board walk on the trailer with a 2x12 or other cat walk material if you have the room on your trailer frame You could use something for a walking staff to steady yourself to walk on it if you like. . I see lots of those but every trailer situation might not work for these. The trailer should be long enough to step onto the trailer and far enough out on it to retrieve the boat without stepping in the water, otherwise you will need hip boots . That might be the way for you to go if it will work on your trailer .The old wader trick works every time for me and I stil think they are easier and safer . I use them for my little 16 ft Starcraft . My 20 ft. center console is easy to drive on and climb out of onto the trailer tongue and hop off alone. still not as safe as wading into the water. I think for once or twice a year, that would be your best and easiest way to go, plus you could use the waders or hip boots for other things .
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 08-04-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Default crooked boat

There's many ways to do it . Personally, the method I like best is to build a board walk on the trailer with a 2x12 or other cat walk material if you have the room on your trailer frame You could use something for a walking staff to steady yourself to walk on it if you like. . I see lots of those but every trailer situation might not work for these. The trailer should be long enough to step onto the trailer and far enough out on it to retrieve the boat without stepping in the water, otherwise you will need hip boots . That might be the way for you to go if it will work on your trailer .The old wader trick works every time for me and I stil think they are easier and safer . I use them for my little 16 ft Starcraft . My 20 ft. center console is easy to drive on and climb out of onto the trailer tongue and hop off alone. still not as safe as wading into the water. I think for once or twice a year, that would be your best and easiest way to go, plus you could use the waders or hip boots for other things .
    I had good luck with my twin axel trailer, putting it in the water until the front of wheel fender was just out of the water, not completely covered. The boat would winch easily, and the boat would settle straight on the trailer. If your winch is a two speed, try the other gear.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast