Fishing Report not a good day!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default not a good day!!

Well here's a report nobody wants to post. I was meeting a fellow Tfer Chuck (Bayhead) for the 1st time to fish for perch on the Severn. We were to meet on Forest Drive at 5:30 am and I would drive to the ramp in one vehicle. I got up at 4am got the rods, cooler for fish, cooler for drinks, net, etc. loaded on the boat and pulled off at 4:45am. I got 4 miles down the road and felt a wobble or pull on the trailer. A 1/2 mile up I pulled into a Royal Farms gas station to check it out. I was thinking flat tire, bubble in tire or bearing. After inspection of truck and trailer tires all looked good. As I was going back around the boat I noticed the passenger side of the boat sitting on the trailer frame and the boat shifted on the trailer. I crawled underneath and saw the bracket to the bunk board had collapsed down. This was not going to be a quick fix. I called Chuck on his phone and gave him the bad news that I would have to reschedule our trip. I felt terrible because Chuck was almost there at this time after a drive from Belair. I went to Dave's trailers in Glen Burnie at 8:30am when they opened. I got 2 new sets of brackets and replace both sides in the front while I was at it. Atfter a sawzall to cut off the old rust bolts and numerous sockets and tools it took me about 3hrs to jack up both sides to remove and replace the hardware. After lowering the boat down I was able to push the boat back on center (thank to the bunk slicks). A test drive later and everything was running smooth again. I will be out of town this weekend but will stay in touch with Chuck and hopefully get together the following weekend for that promised trip.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Ugh, that sucks but glad you were able to get it fixed and yall will get out again.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mike, Glad you found it before it found you! Chuck is a good friend ans realizes things like this happens. He loves to perch fish and I'm sure he is looking forward to your next trip...... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Mike sorry to hear that. But now you are good to go again.

Sorry your trip got ruined Mike. But look on the bright side, no one was hurt nor anything was damaged. Just a delayed fishing trip. Have a great next trip out!!!

If there are any bottom paint experts on this forum, I would like to give another touch up coat to the bottom of my boat. Can you tell from the pics which type or brand I should be using? When I bought the boat 4 years ago, I did not inquire if he had any info on that. It stays on my trailer but I'm looking to make it look nicer and help protect it from a few scrapes like this weekend.

Thanks,
    Mike

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mike,

It was a really nice gesture to offer to take someone out and show them your perch techniques, and I know Chuck from the old Tidalfish days. I think I sold him a 14 ft V bottom about 19 years ago when I upgraded to my current old boat. I was wondering how the trip went and appreciate the trip report, such as it is.

So sorry to hear about the trailer problem, I can relate because I have had more than my fair share of trailer problems over the years. It looks like you are set now! I don't know the answer to your bottom paint question.

I actually made it out on the Severn on Saturday after several failed attempts due to motor and mechanical issues and my motor ran great. It was my first trip in a motorboat this year, which is truly extraordinary! I started to get ready to go in June, then had a steering cable problem and tuneup, then had carburetor problems (its an 03 Yamaha 4 stroke w carbs I purchased used 10 years ago, and they had never been cleaned or serviced), blah blah blah. I live in the mountains and have been doing lots of canoe and kayak boating and fishing close to home and I am so ready to spend time in tidewater in the weeks and months ahead.

I picked it up at the shop on Sat and launched after 9 and it was already hot. The motor ran great, which is always a plus! I tried perching and crabbing for a few hours near the mouth and caught some perch and got a few crabs and then got on the road in early afternoon. Also caught a baby croaker on my go to lure (beetlespin/2 inch gulp/perch strip combo).

I much prefer an early start in summer and I don't like to be on the water in the mid-day summer sun during the heat of the day (I am getting old) so it was a shakedown cruise and short day.

It would be nice to meet you sometime, maybe out on the water or at the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Mike,

It was a really nice gesture to offer to take someone out and show them your perch techniques, and I know Chuck from the old Tidalfish days. I think I sold him a 14 ft V bottom about 19 years ago when I upgraded to my current old boat. I was wondering how the trip went and appreciate the trip report, such as it is.

So sorry to hear about the trailer problem, I can relate because I have had more than my fair share of trailer problems over the years. It looks like you are set now! I don't know the answer to your bottom paint question.

I actually made it out on the Severn on Saturday after several failed attempts due to motor and mechanical issues and my motor ran great. It was my first trip in a motorboat this year, which is truly extraordinary! I started to get ready to go in June, then had a steering cable problem and tuneup, then had carburetor problems (its an 03 Yamaha 4 stroke w carbs I purchased used 10 years ago, and they had never been cleaned or serviced), blah blah blah. I live in the mountains and have been doing lots of canoe and kayak boating and fishing close to home and I am so ready to spend time in tidewater in the weeks and months ahead.

I picked it up at the shop on Sat and launched after 9 and it was already hot. The motor ran great, which is always a plus! I tried perching and crabbing for a few hours near the mouth and caught some perch and got a few crabs and then got on the road in early afternoon. Also caught a baby croaker on my go to lure (beetlespin/2 inch gulp/perch strip combo).

I much prefer an early start in summer and I don't like to be on the water in the mid-day summer sun during the heat of the day (I am getting old) so it was a shakedown cruise and short day.

It would be nice to meet you sometime, maybe out on the water or at the ramp.
    SteveL,

Thanks for the response, and it would be great to get together and fish sometime this year. When I get back in town next week I owe Chuck a fishing trip. I will stay in touch and maybe we can hook up after that.

Mike

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Mike,
    You may want to do yourself a hugantic favor by installing a custom fit, pressure treated 2" x 4" between the bottom of the bunk and the top of the trailer frame so that the bunk has no chance of dropping down as shown in the next to bottom picture in your post. The only thing keeping the bunks in their correct position is the friction created by the two nuts on each U-bolt. A properly installed permanent spacer (mentioned above) prevents collapse of the bunk.

It's not rocket science making a spacer that fits correctly. It could save you from cancelling another fishing/crabbing trip in the future. Well worth the consideration.

DSCF3828.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
    Mike,
    You may want to do yourself a hugantic favor by installing a custom fit, pressure treated 2" x 4" between the bottom of the bunk and the top of the trailer frame so that the bunk has no chance of dropping down as shown in the next to bottom picture in your post. The only thing keeping the bunks in their correct position is the friction created by the two nuts on each U-bolt. A properly installed permanent spacer (mentioned above) prevents collapse of the bunk.

It's not rocket science making a spacer that fits correctly. It could save you from cancelling another fishing/crabbing trip in the future. Well worth the consideration.

DSCF3828.JPG
    Polecat,

I like that idea, thanks for the picture to describe it. If you look in my pic you will see that I added a 1/2"x 1.5" bolt into the top opening to fill the void and prevent it from slipping down. I'm still going to add your custom fit bunk. It may be a few weeks, but I will send pics when finished. Thanks again for the idea.

Mike

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast