Need some Help Pooles Island/Bush River

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Pooles Island/Bush River

I’m a ‘temporary’ transplant here due to a military assignment but I’ve been here long enough to build my own boat, launch it and get frustrated by the state of the fishery in the Chesapeake, so in many ways I’ve caught up with you old timers.

The obvious part that I haven’t caught up with yet is the lures and bait. I’ve been fishing many times in the Bush River and further out along the channel north of Pooles Island. I’ve also fished on the drop-offs on both sides of Pooles Island and all I’ve caught were channel catfish. They were delicious but I’d like to catch more and even a striper (they are still a myth to me since I’ve never seen one).

I’ve tried jigs, plastic worms, night crawlers, plastic eels, and just about every top water plug I own and I organized my tackle the other night and I must own more than 75 top water plugs.

I’ve read Lenny Rudow’s book and re-read several chapters and I understand the stripers are much further south than where I fish at this point.

I’m looking for tips on what tackle/bait to use and where to fish in the Upper Chesapeake.

- James

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

James,
    I've only ever had luck up there in the fall. The last time I went to scout out some of the channels on the east side of Pooles it was June and I only managed catfish on artificials. Once the water gets closer to 60* the stripers will start schooling and can be found by chasing birds. Casting jigs and jigging spoons under them can be fun.

Good luck..

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

I guess this Striper got lost in 83* water last Saturday off the east side of, whatcha call that chunk of land in the upper bay, when she mistook an eel for a late morning snack. She measured 32 inches , had an empty stomach and tasted delicious.

2020-08-01 Pooles Island Fish.jpg

Just Saying.......

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

James, Most of the Summer stripers are North. They were on the Eastern side at Tolchester but now are in the mouth of the Pataosco. Your best chance is live lining spot or chunking amongst the fleet. November and December, the best fishing is South at Point Lookout jigging. The best way to learn the fishery is to book a charter. IFishMd is on this board. He has a 27' Judge and does instructional charters. Good luck. It has become a lonely fishery..... Gary

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Jerry, that is not a crab!!!

James

To heck with the fishing, what kind of boat did you build and where did you get the plans? I am hoping to build one myself with plans from www.boatbuildercentral.com

Chumming on the shoals on the east side has been good, look for the herd of boats and then get away from them. Mouth of the Patapsco can get real good once water starts to cool for jigging artificials.

The ledges around Pooles Island can be good on eels, and jigged baits like Bass Kandy Delights, Bust Em Baits. Scented ZManns.

Once it cools off the shorelines around the area can be good For topwater or throwing swimbaits in up to 6-7’ of water.

Not the best time for learning and trying to find rockfish. Even veterans are struggling in some cases to find and catch them.

Chris

Thanks for all the replies! Polecat - that fish is my dream! As for my boat, I built the 19’ Hatteras from Jeff Spira’s plans (spirainternational.com). It was supposed to be a working crab/fishing boat and I got carried away in the gunwales with a white oak and cherry pattern so I had to finish the damn thing a LOT more fancy-lookin’ than I intended when I started. I’ll attach a few photos and hopefully they’ll show up. I get lots of compliments on and off the water and even had a cop follow me until I stopped so he could ask about the boat and take pictures. You must learn to love sanding if you built a wooden boat because 80% of the labor hours is sanding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1E2F7A9-013E-480F-8002-18AF0A30C2A5_1596730008089.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	256673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9035688-5D0E-4A6B-8E0A-93071CAF1881_1596730090054.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	256675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46386E39-CA6E-4A8A-A635-EEB6205BC755_1596730181125.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	416.2 KB 
ID:	256677  

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

James,
    Your masterpiece is much too beautiful to use as a crabbing platform.
    It is a gorgeous work of artistry and craftsmanship.
    I wish you many hours of enjoyment in it.
    Jerry

Posting images of my boat is about as successful as my fishing. Here’s my second attempt.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Polecat - It’s funny that the images seem to have worked for you but not for me. Thanks for the kind words. The boat only looks this nice until the first dip in the water each year.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Great job on the boat. Very Nice!

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast