Fishing Report Calm before the storm - Monday - Sandy Point

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Calm before the storm - Monday - Sandy Point

Launched from Sandy Point at 7 am with my friend Tom. Tide was high. Bay was smooth as we ran east. Found Spot in 15 feet of water and had steady bite with very end of incoming current. Most Spot were small - we kept a dozen and then let them go - keeping ones over 6 inches. Did not get many med or large Spot but with one Rock limit - hoped the few would be enough.

Current went slack but soon switched to outgoing - the huge jellyfish acting as current indicators. Fished bridge for a while but no luck - not even on 1/4 chunk of fresh soft crab.

Decided to run north for Rock - flat bay made it easy to cover distance at 30 knots. It was hard to believe in less than 24 hours wind gusts over 40 knots were predicted.

We found Rock in 25 feet and set anchor. Current was moving fast and increasing - full moon makes outgoing stronger. Had to add 1/2 oz and then 1 oz weights to get the Spot down to rock suspended at 20 feet. 22 and 26 incher made our limit.

We then went after Perch - using two soft crabs and strips of Spot. Both did well with Perch to 11 inches.

Caught a 9 inch Sea Bass - cool to see these fish. We fished until about 2:00 - current was slowing and storm clouds gathering. Got to ramp and DNR survey guy was there - asked about our trip.

Got home and cleaned fish and boat just as it began to drizzle - afternoon thunderstorm , not the big rain of today.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice job on the rock Skip. The last time I went out during the full moon I couldn't get a single bite. I blamed it on the theory that they feed more overnight since they have more light. When the sun comes up they're not as hungry or aggressive. The excuse sounds good anyway.

Mike

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

mremmfish - My dad always hated to fish around full moon. I deal with it - sometimes do great , other times it is tough.

No doubt the fish will feed at night - but in warm water they digest food fast. I tend to think the stronger currents make it tricky to get bait / lures to the fish.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Great report Skip. And good theory regarding the stronger currents factoring into success or lack of it around full moon period. My buddy and I plan to go out of Sandy Point on Thursday. Been out only couple times this year and usually we fish bay bridge pilings or Podicory. No striper success there this year. So maybe we will try to run north. Especially hearing even soft crab had no striper hits. ACG

7. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements