Need some Help Rookie tidal fishing questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Rookie tidal fishing questions

It's been years since I have been fishing. Most of my fishing to this point has been in streams, non-tidal rivers and ponds. At the end of August I am renting a house on the St Mary's river near Horseshoe Point and I want to do some fishing. It has a deep water dock. I will be fishing from the dock, the shore or maybe a kayak if I can figure it out.

So the question is, what kind of gear do I need, what should I use for bait and what should I expect to catch?

I know this is a very broad question, but I figured someone here could point me in the right direction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My advise to you is to book a charter........ Gary

My advise tou you is to book a charter in the area you want to fish. Best way to learn..... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Well if you just want to fish the dock, a beetle spin type of lure and a light rod will fill your bucket with tasty white perch. Or a bottom rig with bloodworms or fishbites bloodworm on a medium rod. But since you have deep water at the dock do some hand lines for crabs..
    A crab earned on a hand line some how taste even better.

Capt Mike

If you have a med. action spinning rod - use a two hook bottom rig with #4 hooks. Bloodworm in 1/2 to 1 inch pieces will catch you Spot / Croaker / Perch.

You can try casting lures - top water early / low light. A 4 or 5 inch Swim Shad will do good.

Stop by The Tackle Box bait store - 22035 Three Notch Rd, Lexington Park, MD 20653 (301) 863-8151

Explain where you are fishing. They will help you out with some local intell.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You got some good advice for fishing techniques from a dock. You mentioned that you may use a kayak. If so, I suggest that you visit www.snaggedline.com, the leading kayak fishing site for the Chesapeake region. You can ask questions about tackle there or may even find other local kayak anglers with whom you can tag along.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

3000-4000 series rod and a 6'6"-7" medium fast action rod. Look for perch striped bass, and whatever else is swimming in the water.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    If you have a med. action spinning rod - use a two hook bottom rig with #4 hooks. Bloodworm in 1/2 to 1 inch pieces will catch you Spot / Croaker / Perch.

You can try casting lures - top water early / low light. A 4 or 5 inch Swim Shad will do good.

Stop by The Tackle Box bait store - 22035 Three Notch Rd, Lexington Park, MD 20653 (301) 863-8151

Explain where you are fishing. They will help you out with some local intell.
    Alright. I can work with this. Thanks Guys!

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good advice given already. If the dock has lights, at night you may see rockfish (striped bass) feeding on shrimp near the water’s surface. Casting smaller silver jigs works well for me in that situation

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

See if you can find a source of peeler crabs for bait. You will catch everything with that. Ask around for help on how to cut up the crab to maximize the number of baits and keep the knuckles in place to hold it on the hook.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast