Tidal Fish Forum banner

Point Lookout

Question 
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sunman 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of launching out from Point Lookout this weekend. It would be my first time out in the area. Is there anything I should be aware of? How's the traffic getting into the park? Should I get there before a certain time to avoid the crowds? How's the boat ramp? It looks pretty big from the satellite map.

#2 ·
Point Lookout is a great ramp and a perfect location for fishing the bay. The park might get crowded with day use and campers but the ramp will be fine. Lots of parking. Just watch the weather as it is big water down there. The bay is 22 miles wide there. Should be bluefish, Spanish, Cobia, Stripers and trout in the Eastern shore grasses. It's my go to spot in November and December to jig big Stripers....... Gary

#6 ·
The ramp is steep - especially on low tide. Good idea to have wheel chocks - rig with short line so as you pull truck forward the chocks drag behind. This way you do not need to stop.

Watch for crab pot floats as you leave the ramp basin through jetties. Legal to set pots in the river.

Good idea to hit - Save / Mark / MOB on GPS at the jetty.

Be sure to give the point leeway. It is shallow out for some distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.