Good Information Good tip for Mackerel trollers

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Good tip for Mackerel trollers

With Rock season closing for two weeks - Likely many will go after Spanish Macs. Last year I lost some rigs due to the mid leader swivel getting bitten.

Not sure if by small Blues or Macs - really does not matter when a $$$ Sampo ball bearing swivel and $$$ trolling spoon are gone.

To avoid these loses - I add about 6 to 8 inches of single strand fishing wire that is brown colored. I use # 8 - because I had a coil. # 5 would be better .

I still had some frayed spot of leader next to wire from hits but adding the wire stopped the bite offs. I did not notice any decline in bites. Likely did better since I was not trolling just a planer without a lure behind it.

Be sure to break off the tag ends on the haywire twists so there is not a burr to cut fingers.

I use 15 feet of 40 lb mono from planer to swivel. I like 10 feet of 20 lb to lure ( tie directly ). Mono or flouro if a tough bite.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for sharing!

Don't use bright shiney swivels. Try to find flat black ones. They attack anything shiney........ Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good information to follow!

One additional recommendation is to paint your planers black. A friend and expert SM fisherman gave me this tip a couple of years ago and it has really helped increase my SM landings!

How far north do they go?

ryounglaw - It will depend on salinity levels. Last year they were up at Baltimore light thick enough to target. A few even farther north caught by accident.

thansk - may be I will run to Poplar, thats about a far south I I will get with the kids before they wonder when we are fishing

- - - Updated - - -

thanks - may be I will run to Poplar, thats about a far south I I will get with the kids before they wonder when we are fishing

If you are coming from north - I'd drop lures at Severn and zig zag south from 20-35 feet.

The edge off popular between 84 and 84A is a favorite. Stupid fast drop off - get close to crab pots.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements